by
EE Employee

Re: Orange Email Closure: IMAP4 email settings and orange.net Password Tips

Hi @Joymac54

@XRaySpeX has asked if you're using the Outlook email client program on your PC or the Outlook.com Webmail?

Also what is the second part of your email address?

Thanks - Karen. :smileyhappy:

by stuartmac1
Explorer

Re: Orange email closure: IMAP4 email settings and orange.net password tips

Hi Tom,

Trying to transfer emails from my freeserve Inbox to my new Outlook.com account using IMAP, from Outlook, I'm getting, "Failed to authenicate to the Server 'smtp.orange.net' [or 'smtp.orangehome.co.uk'] Port '587'. Please verify your credentials."

Under Outlook.com's "Server Information", in addition to the information in your original post, I've set "Authentication" to "Basic" and "Encryption" to "None".

I've tried both smtp.orange.net and smtp.orangehome.co.uk as "Outgoing SMTP Mail Server", I've also tried both my last freeserve password and my first one.

Further advice?

Regards,

Stuart

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @stuartmac1 outlook.com connected accounts will not connect using Orange SMTP, try selecting use Outlooks SMTP instead. Did you type in all the information as seen in these screenshots:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Email/Can-I-export-my-wanadoo-emails-to-my-hotmail-account/m-p/563112/...

🙂

by stuartmac1
Explorer

Hi Tom,

Thanks.

However, as I want to get the emails from my Freeserve Inbox, do I not need "POP/SMTP" (Outlook.com SMTP is "Send only")?

Then, because the emails in the Freeserve Inbox are actually emails I transferred from the Sentbox, do I not run into the enduring problem that POP won't transfer 'Sent' emails?

Regards,

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @stuartmac1 you need to choose IMAP/SMTP it will not work if you choose POP/SMTP, you need the Orange POP3 email settings for that route.

No you do not need Orange SMTP for importing only - IMAP4 is for incoming and SMTP is for outgoing.

IMAP4 can see sent items unlike POP3 so you should not have that problem no. 🙂

by LS468
Explorer

I have tried to import my orange emails to outlook, but dows not work.  Followed the Orange IMAP4 email settings but still doesn't work.  Can someone help as this is the last day to retrieve my emails from Orange.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @LS468 are you using the Outlook program on your computer or connected accounts at http://outlook.com? What does your Orange email address end with (the bit after the @)? 🙂

by LS468
Explorer

Using Outlook program on computer, went to settings and then connected accounts.  Orange email ended in kinkaid.fsworld.co.uk. Thks

by stuartmac1
Explorer

Hi Tom,

>you need to choose IMAP/SMTP

But, as I say, that's when I get, "Failed to authenicate to the Server 'smtp.orange.net' [or 'smtp.orangehome.co.uk'] Port '587'. Please verify your credentials."

>you do not need Orange SMTP for importing only - IMAP4 is for incoming and SMTP is for outgoing.

I appreciate that, just Outlook.com requires the SMTP stuff to be filled in.

Hth.

Regards,

Stuart

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @LS468 try these settings for a fsworld.co.uk account:

IMAP4

Incoming IMAP4 Mail Server: imap.orange.net

IMAP4 Username: username.fsworld.co.uk

IMAP4 Password: Webmail password

IMAP4 Server Port: 143

Authentication: Password

Use SSL: No

SMTP

Outgoing SMTP Mail Server: smtp.orangehome.co.uk

SMTP Username: Same as IMAP4

SMTP Password: Same as IMAP4

SMTP Server Port: 587

Authentication: Password

Use SSL: No

🙂

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @stuartmac1 when you choose use Outlooks SMTP at the final step you do not have to input any SMTP settings and it will let you continue with just the IMAP4 settings. 🙂

by stuartmac1
Explorer

Hi Tom,

>when you choose use Outlooks SMTP at the final step you do not have to input any SMTP settings

You do. Outlook.com won't continue without the SMTP server and port number - it says, "Error This is a required field" pointing to the blank field ...

BUT ... 😄

... the trick is to select, "Send email using Outlook.com's server" ...

... then it works ... 😄

Rhetorical question: Wtf couldn't we have had this in March, instead of EE spending three months freaking out long-time Freeserve address holders?

EE bosses - you are a bunch of bungling, incompetent numpties. You couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery. When any EE employee contacts me in the future to suggest I switch to any EE product or service, what do you suppose my answer will be? For many, many years?

Tom: thank you very much for your patience. Your bosses do not deserve you.

Regards,

Stuart

by woodyweg Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Stuart,

I agree too re EE. I've just written to their CEO to complain and ask for the deadline to be extended at least to give us all chance to resolve these issues that many are having. Still not got mine although it stated it gad been successful, only folders no emails.

xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx

Sent from my Windows Phone

[Mod edit: Please do not post personal email addresses belonging to Staff members within this community. Thanks!]

by LS468
Explorer

Have just entered these details and the emails are currently being imported. Great help. Thank you!

by
EE Employee

by woodyweg Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Stuart

AMENDMENT RE CEO EE EMAIL ADDRESS, apologies for the error, was written in haste…

**removed** 01707 315000

Sent from Windows Mail
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @stuartmac1 sorry that is what I meant by choosing use Outlooks SMTP at the final step. Then you should be able to continue without inputting any SMTP settings

We tried every way to get Orange SMTP working but it would not connect using any combination of the settings. For importing only it does not matter which one is used though as SMTP is not needed.

Glad to hear it is now working for yourself and @LS468 let us know how you get on. 🙂 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.