by
EE Community Manager

Orange Email closure 31st May 2017: Help and advice

[ Edited ]

Update, 1 June 2017:

This article has been updated to reflect new information about the closure of Orange Email. We’ve removed the sections which are no longer relevant.

Orange Email closed on 31 May 2017.

If you still need to export emails from your inbox to a new email provider, you’ll have the opportunity to do this for a short period between 12 and 28 June 2017:

We’re here to help, so be sure to let us know of any questions – or if we’ve missed anything important – in the comments below.

Follow our guide on switching email accounts > 

Find out what else you need to do > 

Read more about who’s affected >  

Read, download and print a checklist of companies to notify of your new email address >

We’ve also put together a Help article with details of the closure, step-by-step guides and links to other useful information. Read our dedicated Help page on the Orange Email closure.

96 REPLIES
by
Established Contributor

Re: Orange Email closure 31st May 2017: Help and advice

EE really know how to piss off the most loyal sector of their customers, those legacy accounts from Orange, Freeserve and Wanadoo. First EE took away our free 'Lifetime' broadband with no compensation, now they are removing our longstanding email accounts. I have spent over 17+ hours so far re-registering, re-subscribing and notifying companies I have bought from over the many years I have had my Orange and FS email addresses and am probably only about three-quarters of the way thorugh the list, that is of those that I can remember.  Goodness knows how many will be lost once the servers are switched off.

EE's disdainful treatment of longstanding customers will not be forgotten when contracts come up for renewal.

PS Your Orange webmail Away message does not work. Not that you probably care.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @rogerblack

In regards to your away message error this has now been raised as an issue.

I have sent you a Private Message to gain some information to help with the investigation.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Investigator

words cannot express how angry i am at EE. its the "its so simple to switch" comment that really p****d me off. if it is so easy why have EE put up a post with a checklist of 50+ organisations who need to be informed of the change of email address - and putting themselves top of the list is really rubbing salt in the wounds. they are going to be the last to know and if they cant get hold of me then its their own fault. Not to mention all the accounts elsewhere where the contact email address they have for me is also my userid - that will mean shutting down and reopening about 50 accounts and re-entering delivey addresses, bank details etc.

This is going to take days to sort out and it wont be "simple". 

by

Good morning @dazzammm

Thank you for joining and posting in community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration and anger at the process of changing over to a new email provider.

I can totally understand that for some, this can be a stressful time.  We have tried to help out with that by creating a number posts in community as well as our help and support pages.

I know it may take some time for you to map everything across to your new provider, but I do genuinely hope that everything runs as smoothly for you as possible.

Any support or help you need, we will do our absolute best in community to give it to you.

Thank you

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

Someone in EE senior management has made a serious underestimate of the impact of this change on thousands of their most loyal customers and this may well be the last straw that breaks the camel's back for many of us when it comes to existing contracts running out.

I have sympathy for customer services staff who have to take the backlash for this, they themselves are invariably friendly, polite and helpful but obviously their hands are tied by having to make the best of idiotic management decisions which have created unintended consequences.

Populist revolts seem to be the trend at the moment so maybe EE need to watch out . . .

by

[ Edited ]

Hi @rogerblack

As ever your posts and feedback does not go unnoticed or unread.

I know this can be a distressing and not to mention stressful topic for some users.

I want you to know that all of us as a community are here to help and support you in any way we can right up to the 31st May 2017.

I know it's a few months away, but always keep an eye here at our posts and our help and support pages as well.

I for one, do not want to lose you as a customer and I hope come renewal time you continue to a part of EE.

Thank you

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Established Contributor

Thanks Richard

As I mentioned in my comment above, you guys and gals have invariably done your best to help us, despite what idiocies the upper echelons in EE management have dumped on customers, leaving you to deal with the flak.

There's a phrase that referred to our brave troops during the First World War, led by incompetent Generals, which is applicable here too:

Lions led by donkeys!

;o)

by
Grand Master

@dazzammm: I've updated over 100 site registrations in about 3 days. I think it was only 1 which wouldn't let me change my email addy/username & I had to open a new a/c with my new email addy.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

did EE actually send an email out to people ?   because i use outlook to harvest my emails and would not have seen the one line warning on the website link. 

by
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

[ Edited ]

i have switched about 25 places....  it was annoying...  

(i use 6 different eamil providers so as to not have all my eggs in one basket in case something goes wrong)  BUT my orange one was linked to my phone and it like gmail (its android) were the easiest to have "with me 24/7"

THE MOST ANNOYING THING though is when i set my orange email up, at the very begining of the service i got my firstname.surname@orange.net   which was good...  now i try to get the same with one of big providers like vm/gmail/outlook/yahoo it has to be firstname233423@whatever as so many people have my name already with them...

(i found mail.com has some alternatives that meant i was able to get a short non gimmicky name)...

what doesnt make sense is EE getting rid of email services when BT their parent have not yet annouced the same...  surely EE could have just merged in with the BT emails as a shared customer of size and not this "smaller use" b/s  - i bet it isn't EE are seeing less users but that "orange" FS and wanadoo etc are brand names they are no longer linked with and do not wish to pay to or continue to use those legacy brands... so they though "do we have a new EE email, or enable our customers to use BT?"... and they thought, naaa EE is a doomed brand and BT might not keep it's email service... himmm.... that sounds more likely doesnt it

by

Hello there @ezy.

Thanks for coming here.

Following a decline in the number of users, we’ve taken the tough decision to close our Orange Email service

We are in the process of contacting active users of the email service.

Hope you get everything you need from the community to help you with this.

by
Grand Master

@ezy: wrote:

now i try to get the same with one of big providers like vm/gmail/outlook/yahoo it has to be firstname233423@whatever as so many people have my name already with them...

I have had no difficulty getting GMail, at least, to offer me Firstname.Surname@GMail.com & if not that just adding 1 digit to it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Investigator

when i tried i was firstname.surname556. I added an initial for my middlename and now ive got an email address with no numbers!

by
Investigator

I've just recieved an email about this today. It would seem that it has been around for some time, but you've only just bothered to tell me. I find this move totally unacceptable. The end of May is not 'some time away' if you haven't got time to deal with this. I certainly haven't, and how am I suppsoed to find all the places I've registered my email over the last 20 or so years that I've had this account. In the past it has quite happily moved between providers. i suggest you find another provider who is actually interested in providing a service and pass us all on to them.

I don't have any other accounts with Orange/EE, I've had to specially join this community to post my disgust since I can't find an email address to complain to. I would certainly be rethinking any accounts if I did.

by

Hi @greyswood and welcome to the Community.

I understand this may be a bit of a stressful time, we do offer advice of moving over to Gmail for your emails.

Do pop over to our Webmail Closure Guide for more information.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi greyswood

I share your anjnoyance and frustration as my posts on this and other threads make clear.

Just playing devil's advocate for a moment though; I have around half a dozen different fsnet, orangehome, etc email addresses and have so far only received notification of closure on three of those, spread over the last 2-3 weeks.

My guess is that they are sending the direct notifications in batches, presumably to avoid gmail being overwhelmed by however many thousands of loyal customers EE are dumping in the mire with this move.

You mention you no longer have any Orange or EE accounts in current contract, otherwise you would move. You have at least enjoyed continuing use of the email setup for free until now - imagine how much more let down those of us who have stuck with EE as provider through the changes feel.  However at least we will ultimately have the satisfaction of dumping them when contracts run out - in my case we have three mobile  phone and two home broadband accounts all of which are now under review for closure at the appropriate times.

I wish you luck in finding all the registrations that need changing, it is certainly proving a long and frustrating process for all of us as more come to light each day.

by
Investigator

Hi will the away message work after the 31st of May?

by
Grand Master

[ Edited ]

@Howardb: Nothing will work after 31 May. When Orange email closes, everything goes, your mail boxes, servers and all.

The Away msg barely works now Smiley Wink!

by
Investigator

Hi thank you for the quick reply, I thought this was the case but just wanted to check it would have been a good idea if the redirect was left on for a few months after.

Alas not.

Thanks

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.