by Qmab Investigator
Investigator

No longer receiving emails to my android and tablet

I recently had to update and reset my BT email account. Quite straighforward, not the first time. Since then, I have not received any emails into my phone or tablet. Both were synced to laptop. Have re-synced to no avail and cannot find anything in settings on any of the devices to assist me. Both phone and tablet state that I am synced. Last sync was earlier today but still nothing. Any advice greatly appreciated. By the way, I am a bit of a silver surfer so IT jargon goes over my head!! lol

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: No longer receiving emails to my android and tablet

Of course. That's why they are acting differently. Use the BT recommended ports on all devices.

EE shops will know nowt about email.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

What network is the laptop running on? Is the laptop receiving these emails?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Qmab Investigator
Investigator

Hi, thank you for replying. My laptop provider is BT and yes, I am receiving emails okay since I updated my BT account  (a few days ago). Had to update password. Emails didnt receive on laptop until I did that. Have checked settings on laptop, phone and tablet and everthing appears to be okay there so I'm a bit stumped. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't understand what you mean by your phone & tablet are synced to lappy for email. They will be synced with BT's email server not with the lappy. All 3 devices act independently of each other for email & all are synced with the BT email server. 

by Qmab Investigator
Investigator

Hi, yes, mean they are synced via the laptop, via the BT server yes. Not good at all the IT techy stuff therefore don't explain it well. All was working fine until I had to update my BT account then it went pear shaped. Hoping to visit the EE shop tomorrow and see if they can help. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

How can they be synced for email via the lappy? They talk directly with the BT email server. What setting on them makes them synced with the lappy? 

Or do you mean they are connected by WiFi to the lappy which in turn is running over your BT BB network? In which case EE is not involved at all.

by Qmab Investigator
Investigator

Oh gosh! Probably mean linked? Did this within settings on my laptop. Error msg on phone says - couldn't sign in, then quotes my bt email address.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Linked how? Which setting on lappy exactly?

What are your server settings for email, obscuring your names, in the Mail app on the phone?

Please be more exact.

by Qmab Investigator
Investigator

On PC - settings (windows settings) - link phone.

Phone - Server settings - Incoming emails:  - username: xxxxxxxxx@btinternet.com password. Server - mail.btinternet.com. Port - 110

outgoing:SMTP Server - mail.btinternet.com.  Port - 25 then username  and password

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are the mail server settings on the lappy the same as those on the phone?

BT suggests in Settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers :

• Incoming POP3 Server: Port 995 with SSL Encryption.
  • Outgoing SMTP Server: Port 465 with SSL Encryption.

by Qmab Investigator
Investigator

Good morning,

No, settings not the same. on BT server incoming: 993. Outgoing 465. So, should they be the same? Had phone and tablet for 2 years+. Assuming different ports all that time? Going out shopping this morning so can pop into EE shop for advice and/or speak with BT support? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Of course. That's why they are acting differently. Use the BT recommended ports on all devices.

EE shops will know nowt about email.

View solution in original post

by Qmab Investigator
Investigator

Hi, just home. All sorted. The young man at the EE shop sorted it all out for me, both phone and tablet. Thank you so much for all your input, I really appreciated it.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What do you get out of linking your phone to your PC? It's certainly not used for email.

I was not aware of this feature so I tried it out. I installed MS Launcher on my phone. It messed everything up & changed away from my usual home screens. I hated it. It then took me ages to find out how to uninstall it.

by Qmab Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I thought it was so that my phone and tablet have pretty much all that is on the laptop!! lol. Probably not but I am such a numpty re IT and do things that I don't fully understand! Actually hate IT!! Woman Frustrated Smiley LOL

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions