Highlighted
by dws Investigator
Investigator

Keeping POP3 access open for longer

I have to say, how nice it was to see emails reappear in my freeserve email address if only for a short time.

Another poster made a very valid point... a lot of people have had these email addresses for getting on for 20 years. It doesn't how long you have to prepare, 20 years is a long time to have been handing out your email address to people...and yes, there is an emotional attachment if you've been using something for that long.

So like everybody else I have set up new emails, but it has been useful to see who is still sending to the freeserve email address despite being told of the new one... and with the best will in the world it isn't possible to know everybody you've given your email address out to over the years, some are still going to come through.

By all means scrap the web portal as you have done... but as the other poster said, how much of an inconvenience would it be to allow POP access for longer than 2 weeks so that we can do more checks on who's still using the old emails ?

Yes, gmail, outlook etc have more functionality etc etc , but many people have been attached to these email addresses for a long time (any maybe these people don't necessarily want more functionality, they just want to stay as they are), I can't help thinking that there could have been ways to keep the email addresses going at minimal expense to Orange, even if it was a bare-bones service or just POP access from a client.

David

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Keeping POP3 access open for longer

Hi @dws,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

The Email servers will be switched off permanently on 28 June.

Please use the next couple of weeks to ensure all important Emails are transferred to your new provider or downloaded to an Email client.

I understand your frustration and we are here to help with any difficulties you encounter while transferring.

Thanks

James

1 REPLY
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Keeping POP3 access open for longer

Hi @dws,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

The Email servers will be switched off permanently on 28 June.

Please use the next couple of weeks to ensure all important Emails are transferred to your new provider or downloaded to an Email client.

I understand your frustration and we are here to help with any difficulties you encounter while transferring.

Thanks

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.