by CathR Contributor
Contributor

Got new Huawei P Smart. Can't download emails. Syncing for past 5 days

I'm pleased with my new Huawei P Smart but I can't download emails.  I've put in all the right data from Virgin Media for IMAP which looks like it's been accepted.  But then I get a message "Waiting for sync.  Poor connectivity at the moment.  Email sync may need a little more time".  It's been like that for 5 days.  No problem downloading emails from Virgin Media to my computer.  Any suggestions

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Got new Huawei P Smart. Can't download emails. Syncing for past 5 days

Hi @CathR

Are you on EE or virgin media?

Have you checked your settings are correct?

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @CathR

Welcome to the community.

In addition to @Northerner's questions, are you using the pre-installed email app?

Chris

by CathR Contributor
Contributor

Hi Northener

I'm with EE for the phone and Virgin Media for broadband.  As for settings, not sure which ones you mean?  

I tried to add the email under accounts.  I did a manual entry using the IMAP information from Virgin Media.

by CathR Contributor
Contributor

Hello Christopher_G

I tried to set up the email account under the User and Accounts page in settings.  I did it manually and entered all the information about server name etc from Virgin Media.

Talking to a friend earlier today I'm wondering whether I'm connected to Virgin Media properly.  I thought I was, but maybe I'm not, so I'll try that.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can you see the VM email a/c in the Mail app? Can you check its server settings there?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by CathR Contributor
Contributor

Hello XRaySpex

I've cancelled the old account and started agin through the email app.  When I click on the three dots and go through to server settings I've entered the incoming settings from VM but the wheel thing just keeps going round and round and eventually I get a message saying couldn't connect to the server.

Unless you can suggest where I'm going wrong I might contact VM.  The thing is my email address is @virgin.net (which I had for ages) and virgin has moved on to virginmedia.com.  It might be something to do with that???

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@CathR: Don't worry about that. Email providers often update their email domains while keeping old ones still valid.

Are you still using virgin.net for the IMAP & SMTP servers when, maybe, you should now be using virginmedia.com ? EDIT: But in fact you don't - see Virgin.net Email settings .

Please post the server settings you are using but obscuring your names.

Perhaps it's worth trying a POP3 connection instead of the IMAP one for the time being?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by CathR Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much XRaySpex!

Reassuring what you say about changing email domains.

I'm using the settings you gave me the link to :

email address : myname@virgin.net

Receiving pop3.virginmedia.com

Port: 995

I don't get as far as sending but the settings are

smtp.virginmedia.com

port 465

Yes, I think I'll stick to POP.  I download emails to my computer using POP, so maybe it's best not to mix POP and IMAP on different devices?

Tried to connect this morning again but no joy.

Thanks for your help!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There is no harm in mixing POP3 & IMAP from diff devices or even the same device.

by CathR Contributor
Contributor

Just to let you know that although I still can't connect to the server emails are coming into my inbox so I'm super happy.  thanks everyone for your help!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you are receiving emails then you are connecting to the email server. Or do you mean you can't get them by IMAP but you can by POP3?

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions