by
EE Community Manager

Email closure: Our guide to switching email accounts

[ Edited ]

If you use an Orange Email address, you’ll need to set up a new address ahead of the Orange Email closure on 31st May 2017.

If you’ve got a large number of emails and contacts that you don’t want to lose, it’s a good idea to import them to a new email address. This can be done with any email provider, but we find it easiest with Google Mail (Gmail).

Set up a Google Mail account here >

Once you’re up and running with Google Mail, importing your old emails is easy:

• A useful note: Gmail will only import emails that are in your inbox.  If you have any emails in other folders that you wish to import, you’ll need to move them into the inbox for them to be included in the transfer.

• The import doesn’t work for emails in your sent folder.  In order to save these, you’ll need to forward them on to your new email address individually.

IMAP and POP

• If you want to read your emails on different devices, and access new emails as and when they come in, it’s best to use IMAP.

• If you only need to read your emails on one device, and you don’t mind downloading new emails in order to read them, you can use POP. 

What's next?

You'll need to update the email address that's linked to any social media, online stores and subscriptions that you have.

Here are some links that you may find useful:

....And here's a full checklist to make sure that you don't forget anything. 

If you’re having trouble setting these up, don’t hesitate to get in touch by tapping the reply button below.

And remember you can find more information about the Orange Email closure on our Help page.

15 REPLIES
by
Contributor

Re: Email closure: Our guide to switching email accounts

I have followed the instructions exactly for a freeserve account and have successfully transferred about half my emails, but now I keep getting the response: This account cannot be imported right now. Please try again later.  This has been happening now for nearly a week.  What is going wrong?  What else can I do?

by
EE Community Support Team

Good afternoon @JohnJC

Have you by any chance seen the Fsmail importing email issues post?

Please have a look at that and let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Grand Master

@JohnJC: That GMail error msg is usually a sign that you've only sent items in your Inbox. POP3 doesn't see sent items. You need to forward those individually.

What domain is your email addy on (the bit after your name)? If it is truly Freeserve.co.uk , you can safely ignore the last post as it only applies to FSMail.net.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Contributor

Thanks for the thoughts.  Yes I have seen that and followed exactly except that I don't get a SSL option.  I've also made sure there are no sent messages in the inbox.  I still get the same message.

by
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you.  It is xxxx@xxxxxxx.freeserve.co.uk. [mod edit: please don't post personal details in a public forum] I've had it a long time.  Just to be on the safe side I have extracted all sent messages from the inbox but I still get the same message

by
Explorer

Hi

Thankyou for your response. Can you tell me if I leave an away msg stating our new email address will this still be present when wandoo has shut down?

by

Hi @Jimbo4

When this closes, this won't be viewable.

Good luck with with it all and I hope it runs as as smooth as possible.

Cheers

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Grand Master

Once Orange email closes on 31 May, everything goes, your mailbox, POP3 & SMTP servers, Webmail & all. You can use nowt thereafter.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Investigator

I think I am near to having a nervoud breakdown. I have followed the instructions given to me regardjing moving my e-mnail to another account, but have now had my e-mail locked. It says if I have any problems contact us.....I have tried and tried and tried and now fear I will lose all of my contact and e-mails which I depend on. Can anybody please help and why was it locked when I was only following the guidelines given???? please please someone help me....it is a disaster more my life??????

by

[ Edited ]

Hi @marion147

Thanks for coming to see us in community Smiley Happy

Hopefully I can offer some help to you.

It may have been locked because of the sheer volume of mails, it's best to send them over in small batches and make sure it's not sent items.

Maybe importing would be better.

Can you please send me a private message here and I will try and assist, I need your personal email address please.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Grand Master

@marion147: It was locked cuz it reckoned you were sending too many emails in a short space of time, the hallmark of a spammer, altho' you were doing it legitimately. FSMail.net has a ridiculously low threshold for this.

This has been looked into by EE & unlocking of accounts can be escalated from here.

You should not have lost anything once it's unlocked.

Why are you forwarding your emails anyway? You only really need to for sent items. Why aren't you importing them into your new email like EE recommends? This wouldn't lock accounts like excessive forwarding does.

by

[ Edited ]

@marion147

Once I get a hold of the details, I can try help you.

Cheers

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Investigator

How do I get this unlocked.....I have loads of e-mails to do with my son's degree...student finance etc.....really urgent that I am able to access these e-mails. I ws doing exacly what they had told me to doi.e. forwardiung to a new e- mail address...I am desperate

by

[ Edited ]

Hi @marion147,

I've sent you a private message so I can help you unlock your account.

Rather than manually forwarding your Emails, you can import them directly to your new Email account.

Please see the guide at the start of this conversation for more details.

Thanks

James

by
Investigator

still locked??????????????????????/

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.