by Michaelangelo Investigator
Investigator

Wired Connection on Android TV Causing Error

I have and android TV box which is hard wired to the internet and is sucessfully connected and can browse websites etc. 

I've installed EE TV but it will only connect to the EE TV box over wifi. If i plug the ethernet cable in, it fails to connect as if the developers have done a check 'is WIFI active' and if not then show error message.  This happens even if wifi is enabled when the cable is plugged in. My WIFI signal isn't good enough to watch TV without stop/start all the time.

Anyone else come across the same, is this all android TV boxes? Any solutions?

10 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Wired Connection on Android TV Causing Error

@Michaelangelo: What network is this connection over? Do you mean you have EE Home Broadband?

@Michaelangelo wrote:

I have and android TV box which is hard wired to the Internet

How? Are you are connecting the Android TV box wired to to the BB router?

I'm confused by what you are saying. Nothing connects to the EE TV box over WiFi. The EE TV Box connects to the router by WiFi or wired & TVs connect to the EE TV box by HDMI or maybe Scart. Again are you saying the Android TV box is connected wired to the router? But then you go on to say you are trying to connect the Android TV box to the EE TV Box by Wifi.

The Ethernet port on the EE TV box is for connecting to the router; not other devices. Isn't that the cause of the error you are getting?

If I understand you correctly, you are saying the Android TV box connects to the Net fine when connected to the router but does't work when attempting to connect it to the EE TV box. The latter is a no-no!

Dunno what an Android TV box does but it sounds to me you are trying to run it in parallel to the EE TV box for similar streaming functions. In which case they both need connecting to the router whereby they both has access to the Net.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi, let me try again... I have the EE TV box (that EE provided as part of my EE broadband bundle) connected to my router (happens to be wired), this works fine and is in room 1 of my house.

I have now installed the EE TV app (available in the play store) on an Android TV box (just like you would with an android tablet PC) in Room 2 such that I can access recordings etc. This android TV box is basically a PC running android OS 8.1 and has both RJ45 and WiFi.

My home network is one single network using the EE router. The android TV box runs the EE app slowly but sucessfully over WiFi but When I plug the android TV box into the router via ethernet, the EE app then fails to be able to talk to the EE box (or perhaps EE internet service), for instance I expect it talks to the EE box when it is updating the Menu with to the guide,recordings etc. however it is at the startup of the app, it seems to find and pair with the EE box ok but then comes up with ‘connection failure’ when trying to update Its info (guide/recordings)....which seems very odd.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

OIC, it was all about an app connecting before, not the EE TV Box itself as I read it. I understand it now Smiley Happy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the EE TV app didn't work over Ethernet as it was designed for mobile devices connecting over WiFi on the same LAN as the EE TV Box. Perhaps someone familiar with EE TV might have experience of connecting over Ethernet ( @Schockwave? )

Also there is some issue with the current version of the EE TV app not being compatible with Android 8 Oreo.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@XRaySpeX, I have my EE TV box connected wired via the home plug and not wireless and the app works on my old IPad with the latest update, but not with the newest IPad and recently the same on my IPhone XS Max. I know my IOS is beta on all, but only recently get the same message both on the new IPhone as well as the new IPad Pro, the old IPad Pro, works ok. I believe EE know about this issue and should be working on a new apps, from what I have been told, my set up as not changed. It was working on the IPhone until a week ago when I did an update on all three of them.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Schockwave wrote:

I have my EE TV box connected wired via the home plug and not wireless and the app works on my old IPad with the latest update, but not with the newest IPad and recently the same on my IPhone XS Max.

@Schockwave: I see the issue as not being how the EE TV Box is connected but that of the devices talking to it being connected by Ethernet & not by WiFi as is usual, as would be your iPads & iPhones.

Investigator

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately no solutions - so it looks like it’s probably just a case that EE were never expecting people to use an Android box (rather than mobile device) for the TV app and as such have coded it in a way that it expects and looks for a WiFi connection, and errors if WiFi not found. Such a shame as this would be the ideal multiroom solution. I’m guessing this would also be an issue if the app was installed on a wired smart TV (if it was possible to install)

Is there any way to report this probable bug (as it may be intended) to EE or do they just monitor this forum ?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Michaelangelo  The EE TV app is designed only for mobiles/tablets and the fact you got it on your box and sort of working is a bonus.   It wasn’t meant for how your trying to use it. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Michaelangelo wrote:

Is there any way to report this probable bug

I believe the way to do that is to report it to the developer on the app store you got it from. EE doesn't particularly monitor this forum. It is solely intended for users to discuss their issues.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Michaelangelo. Smiley Happy

@Chris_B is right, the intention of the app is for use with a mobile device, so it may not be fully supported on the Android box that you have.

The app developers will pick up any feedback left on the app store. Smiley Happy

Chris

Investigator

Thanks, this is what I thought although I’m hoping is just the way it was coded (i.e. to Check if SSID exists or signal strength) rather than intentional as the rest of the app works ok (when on wifi). Just seems a shame that this doesn’t work on wired as nobody (perhaps other than Sky Q) has a good multiroom solution. Even Humax’s H3 Espresso system is terrible. :-(.   I’ll put some feedback on the App as hopefully the developers will see and whilst maybe not support the app in android boxes would put this (presumably quick to also allow if wired exists) fix in place :-).  

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.