by Jimbo-27 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

TV box ongoing issues

Some of you may recall a couple of weeks back I posted unexpected message on screen

' This box has disconnected itself, please return it to EE TV' Couldn't get picture or sound back no matter how I tried (Rebooting, unplugging etc.) Was put right after phoning helpline. Something was altered at their end 'defualt was mentioned'? Anyway please to say all working OK at present. A few days ago my son who signed up for his a week after me has had the exact same problem! I'm thinking there must have been a 'bad batch' sent out and we were unlucky to each get one? My cousin who has had his for 5 or so months has been trouble free. However, his standby light remains on (here I go again on the standby light issue) and his picture and sound are almost instantaneous on switch on. Wheras with my stanby light which goes out after about 4hrs I have two blank colour screens plus the streaming wheel and eventually get picture and sound after about 20/25

seconds. Deep sleep has been mentioned previously, so mine obviously needs it and my cousin's doesn't? Be very interested in opinions on this

13 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: TV box ongoing issues

Hi @Jimbo-27

Glad to hear that yours seems to be working OK now.

May be worth asking your son to contact our Tech Gurus too, so that they can do the same with his.

Chris

Established Contributor

Yes he will do given my experience. Any thoughts on the standby light issue? Why does my box go into an apparent 'deep sleep' after 4hrs or so and my cousin's has never since he's had it ?

by

When the EE TV light goes off, it means that it has either turned off or gone into deep sleep, @Jimbo-27 (as you said).

It sounds like your cousin's EE TV box is just staying in standby mode, which isn't as energy efficient.

Chris

Established Contributor

That seems to be it then Chris? Perhaps on the later boxes they introduced a 'deep sleep' mode to be more energy efficient? Not a bad thing if that's the case. I have seen afew other posts and with the greatest respect they appear to have misunderstood. It is not the operation options, I do know what the various lights signify The question was why the standby goes off when my cousins (an earlier model) doesn't. Deep sleep it is then.

Thanks

by

That seems to be the case @Jimbo-27.

It's definitely good to save some energy with the deep sleep feature Smiley Happy

Jon

by jas20001978 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Is the standby light not just a replay issue. I know if replay was turned off the standby light would go off after a few hours. Obviously if replay is used the box is constantly recording so unable to go into a deep sleep. Just.a thought. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jon_K wrote:

That seems to be the case

Seems, @Jon_K? You know that for a fact or are you saying it would be a good idea if it were?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by

@XRaySpeX - I'll check in with our EE TV team to see if we can get confirmation of how the 'deep sleep' function works.

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

Thanks James it would be good to know if this indeed a normal function. Here's a thing though, last evening sat talking with family TV off. (and no standby light) The EE box flickered green then solid green then to standby red, all in a matter of 10 seconds. The consensus was it was doing a software update (can anyone confirm this)? First time it's ever done this. When switching TV on from red sound and picture almost instantaneous as I've said before. Anyway as I've also daid previously, apart from these apparent idiosyncrasies everything else functions.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Software updates for the EE TV BOX are few & far between.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by

No problem @Jimbo-27

I'll let you know if I'm able to find any further information for you.

James

Established Contributor

Pleased to say tv box seems to be behaving itself albeit a little slow sometimes in bringing up recordings, even had a message once 'searching hard drive please wait' I still notice there is a Lipsync issue sometimes more than others, but particularly noticable on demand programmes, which also applies to actions. For example in a fight scene you hear the sound of the hit when the victim is halfway to the floor. Most annoying.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jimbo-27  If it’s a on demand program try pausing the program for a few seconds this sometimes helps everything catchup.  

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.