by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Helpful count on Index pages is incorrect

Hi,

 

On index pages like:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/EE-TV/bd-p/eetv

 

you will see the last column with the Helpful count.  This shows only if the original post in that thread has been marked helpful (so will only be a 0 or 1), rather than the more useful/logical setting of how many helpfull posts were in that thread.   Most threads have a zero count as most original posts are questions and by definition not helpful!

 

This incorrect template setting is across all forum.

7 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Helpful count on Index pages is incorrect

Well spotted!


@Paulosb wrote:

(so will only be a 0 or 1)


Can be any number awarded to the OP.

 

Example: Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? and then ascend 1 level.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Helpful count on Index pages is incorrect


wrote:

Well spotted!


@Paulosb wrote:

(so will only be a 0 or 1)


Can be any number awarded to the OP.

 

Example: Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? and then ascend 1 level.


Well that example is a strange one as it reads like it is a querey but is actually an FAQ answer ... so should have been re-written with a more obvious title, and of course it is already a sticky so not really needing a helpful count.   

 

99% of original posts are questions and do not ilicit a helpful mark ... yet the many helpful answers below them are not counted in the index pages, rendering that column redundant.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Helpful count on Index pages is incorrect

Not strange at all! There a some, a few, OPs that offer advice to the Community members in general rather than being a specific query from a user. As these set out to be helpful in general it is not surprising that they are awarded many Helpfuls. They don't need to be stickies.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Helpful count on Index pages is incorrect


@Paulosb wrote:

Hi,

 

On index pages like:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/EE-TV/bd-p/eetv

 

you will see the last column with the Helpful count.  This shows only if the original post in that thread has been marked helpful (so will only be a 0 or 1), rather than the more useful/logical setting of how many helpfull posts were in that thread.   Most threads have a zero count as most original posts are questions and by definition not helpful!

 

This incorrect template setting is across all forum.


Bump - is there a process to fix such bugs?

by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Helpful count on Index pages is incorrect

Hi @Paulosb,

 

I think the helpful counts on the index pages are intended to show the number of times the OP has been marked as helpful. I'll double check this and get back to you.

 

Thanks

 

James

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Helpful count on Index pages is incorrect


@James_B wrote:

Hi @Paulosb,

 

I think the helpful counts on the index pages are intended to show the number of times the OP has been marked as helpful. I'll double check this and get back to you.

 

Thanks

 

James


Which, as we can see, is zero on 99% of posts on the index pages - rendering the feature redundant.   What was probably intended was to show how many useful answers were posted in that thread, to enable viewers to spot helpful discussions, yet currently there is no way to display the total of helpful votes in the whole thread.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Helpful count on Index pages is incorrect

@James_B: That interpretation would seem rather ineffectual. The vast majority of OPs are simply Qs about "My thingmebob don't work". They in themselves are not helpful to anyone. The meat is to be found in the responses to the OP where the real help to the OP is offered in the suggestions & solutions as to why "His thingmebob doesn't work". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.