cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have an old phone/tablet lying around your house? Here's what you can do

FrugalFamily
Guest blogger

I’m not one of those people that has to have the latest gadgets and the newest phones that come on to the market.  Unfortunately, my teenagers don’t agree with my philosophy on this and are always tempted by the latest model of whatever phone it is that’s in fashion at the time.

Cass Bailey - Diary of a Frugal Family - Image 1.jpg

But this need to have the latest phones does create a question as to what to do with old mobile phones or tablets that you’re replacing, doesn’t it?

My preferred option is to trade in the old phone or tablet and get some money back to offset the cost of the new phone.  One of the easiest ways to do this is to sell your phone online using a service like EE’s Recycle and Reward scheme.

You don’t even have to be an EE customer to use the Recycle and Reward scheme, anyone can take advantage of it!  It’s super simple to use too, I just entered in my phone make and model and the IMEI number (which you can find by typing *#06# into your handset) and within a second I was told how much my phone was worth.  If you’re happy with the price then you’ll be sent a free pack with everything you need to send your phone to EE without having to pay any postage.  You do however, have the option to speed things up by printing off your own postage labels and packaging it up yourself. The only thing I’d say to remember is that you need to remove iCloud from your phone if you have it.

Cass Bailey - Diary of a Frugal Family - Image 2.jpg

You then send your phone back to EE and once they’ve confirmed it‘s in working order and in the condition you have specified, they’ll arrange a credit of the agreed amount by cheque or straight into your bank account!  How easy is that?

An alternative to selling your mobile phone would be to consider re-gifting it to someone if it’s in good condition and not too old.  Re-gifting your old phone or tablet is definitely something worth thinking about – especially at this time of year. 

Cass Bailey - Diary of a Frugal Family - Image 4.jpg

You might have an older relative who would appreciate the chance to embrace modern technology or an older child in your family who wants a mobile phone but isn’t quite old enough to need one.  Your old phone or tablet could be a great gift for someone.

I donated my last mobile phone to my Dad after filling it with some pictures of the kids and some music I knew he’d like.  I even downloaded a film I knew he loved to it and set him up an email address.  He didn’t want to buy himself a phone as he thought he was too old to learn how to use it but now he loves it.  

people-2593688_1920.jpg

Whatever you choose to do, just don’t leave it lying around in a drawer gathering dust until it’s too old to be of use to anyone!

Do you have an unused phone or tablet in a drawer somewhere that you could do something with?

7 Comments