Annual upgrades: Get a new phone, every year

TiffJ
Former EE Community Manager

If you like getting your hands on the latest device (who doesn’t?) you can get a new phone every year with annual upgrade, without paying an early upgrade fee.

Like the sound of that? Find out which plans come with annual upgrade.

Annual upgrades are available on selected 4GEE Max plans free of charge. There are no hidden charges and you won’t pay an early upgrade fee. Not bad eh?

How to get your early upgrade

Once you’ve chosen an eligible plan and phone, after 12 months we’ll be in touch with details on upgrading – along with plenty of handy info on everything from backing up your phone to switching your contacts across.

When it’s time to upgrade, all you need to do is bring your phone into one of our stores. As long as it’s in good working order, we’ll exchange it for a new phone there and then.

What would you choose?

So, what phone would you upgrade to? Any devices coming up that you’re particularly excited about? Let us know by tapping "Comment"  below, and visit our dedicated help page for more info on annual upgrades.

19 Comments
Dale S
Not applicable

Hi, i have a iPhone 7 on a max 4GEE Max, is it possible to put it in for an iPhone x when ready to pre order. Thanks Dale.

jimh56
Visitor

I upgraded from 6s plus to iphone 8 plus and i had to pay £35 upfront and then they said the plan i was on ie 4GEE max is no longer available so i had to take a new plan which is £77.99 per month with less add ons ie no free calls to o8oo numbers or 0870 numbers and no calling abroad or calling within the eu

jimh56
Visitor

Didn' work for me they changed the plan and i was only 1 year in to it

Lee_H
Legend
Legend

Hi @jimh56 and welcome to the community.

your new plan won't have 08 calling or calling abroad but your plan does include roaming in the EU and USA, Canada, Austalia, New Zealand and Mexico.

Many thanks,

Lee

Profile closed
Not applicable

i have an iPhone 7 128gb jet black which was purchased on 16/9/16 with a 25GB EE Max plan and I was told that it comes with an annual upgrade option.

Contacted EE for this upgrade and informed I do not have annual upgrade added to my plan- but no explanation why this is the case as this was one of the main reasons I took out the contract in the first plance.

So I have:

1. an eligible phone.

2. an eligible MAX plan (25GB)

3. purchased after 9/9/16

4. held contract for over 12 months

5. paid all the bills

6. meet all the criteria.

7. but for some reason cannot go for the annual upgrade plan because for some reason it was not added to my plan.

Im just curious why this is the case. I feel many others are in the same position. Maybe buying the phone upfront from Apple is a more reliable option I guess.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Profile closed

Welcome to the community. 🙂

That sounds unusual. Have you got any discounts on your account?

Such as, friends and family, EE perk etc.

Chris

Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi @Christopher_G

I have NHS discount. But I was not told at the time that it would void my annual upgrade. Otherwise, I would not have applied this discount. Also, I do not expect to be given this discount on the upgrade anyways.

thanks

Christopher_G

Thanks for confirming, @Profile closed.

Please see the statement below from our Annual Upgrade help and support page:-

Annual upgrade is available with an eligible device when taking our 15GB, 25GB 40GB, 60GB and 100GB 4GEE Max plan, this is not available with special offers including but not limited to Perk and Multi-line discounts. Friends and Family accounts are eligible for the Annual Upgrade on the 40GB, 60GB and 100GB 4GEE Max plans only.

I understand from your message that you're not happy about this. If you would like to complain regarding this, you can find out how to on our ways to complain help and support page.

I hope they can help you find a resolution to this.

Chris

JacobJeff
Not applicable

I have the exact same problem as @sonic_123 to a T!! I have the same plan, phone except in my situation when I had my previous iPhone 6 Plus I got my mother a contract which shared my internet before I preordered my iPhone 7 Plus. When preordering my iPhone 7 Plus 128Gb on the 25Gb 4GEE MAX plan I was told I would be able to get annual upgrade and I called in to see if I could upgrade and I was told that this was not included on my plan even though I was told it was.

dwynnsands
Visitor

I took out a pre-order for a Samsung S8 on the 4GEE Max plan in April 2017 under the impression that it was on the Annual Upgrade. I took the 7gb data allowance as I was told this give me the upgrade over the 4gb data allowance however I've now been told this isn't the case and I won't be able to upgrade for free. Is anyone able to help me this this?

Thanks. 

natbuk
Explorer
I just tried to do annual upgrade - the 'no hidden costs' seems not true! I have a 256gb iphone 7 plus (bought via EE on 24 month 4GEEmax tarrif 12 months ago) - the natural upgrade would be an iphone 8 plus 256gb - but I have been told I have to pay an additional £200 fee, or change to a more expensive (£83 per month) tariff (and still pay £100 fee), even though I'm already on a £65 per month 4GEEMAX tarrif. (this is regardless of phone trade in, so if I want to keep the phone, I pay another £310, or trade it in to avoid this. So to trade in my old phone, I'd still need to pay £200 upgrade (seems like a hidden fee to me!), or £100 if I move to £83 tarrif. This seems the opposite of 'no hidden costs' - to anyone thinking about taking this out, I'd strongly suggest you look at similar deal through Apple direct. I sugges people avoid the annual upgrade from EE as it seems they will find a way to charge you more somehow...
Tbc
Not applicable

Hi I have a 100gig 4gmax plan but my old phone was water damaged

So destroyed as no extra cover taken would I still be able to get a annual upgrade 

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi, 

You won't need to return the phone, but there may be a charge.

Have a look at our Annual Upgrade help page for more information.

Jon

Davis996

I have a 4GEEMAX plan on 100GB IPhone XS Max @ £93 per month. When taking out this plan I was told I would be able to keep phone after a year and upgrade to another phone fix at another 24months. 1 year later and I’ve asked for the upgrade however they now telling my I have to pay £900+ to keep the phone and then pay a upfront cost to buy the next contract. All this wasn’t agreed over the phone. I’ve asked for the contract, telephone recording ect and apparently you don’t keep them after 3 months. You have said on your notes on your system I’ve agreed to the term that I have to hand back the phone or pay the fee, but I do not have a copy of theses terms which I’m sure you meant to send these out. Why would I pay £2,232 over the 2 year contract with out the upgrade for a phone that was worth £1,000-£1,100 seems like a rip off to me. I’ve cancelled the direct debit and disputed the matter, to which you have replied you will affect my credit rating. How is this fair, the contract and the payments should be frozen until resolved. You also said no matter what i do you charge for the full amount as you had notes on your system that I’ve agreed a contract, yet you haven’t sent one to me nor have I signed one. 
EE are a complete rip of and black mail people when they have a dispute. Absolute joke 

James_B

Hi @Davis996,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

With Upgrade Anytime you can swap your old phone for a new one or keep it and pay the relevant extra charge.

Find out more in How can I Upgrade Anytime?

If you have raised a complaint, the team will listen to the original sales call before getting back to you.

Thanks

James

Davis996

@James_B 

ive already made the complaint however customer services say they don’t have the telephone recording. I’ve asked for it to be listen too as this would prove the deal I made with EE. Besides that it’s disgusting how EE are treating this matter by blackmailing me. I’ve been with EE for years and this is how they treat people then I’ll won’t be coming back.

James_B

Hi @Davis996,

I'm sorry to hear the call recording is no longer available.

If you would like to discuss your complaint in more detail, please visit our complaints help page where you can chat online.

Thanks

James

Davis996

@James_B 

it’s point less talking to your complaints team as they don’t want to do anything at all, and they are the ones blackmailing. Apparently notes on their account is proof. Yet I want to see a contract that’s been signed or or a telephone recording, yet you can’t provide these. 

James_B

Hi @Davis996,

Our complaints team are best placed to help you with this, as we can't access your account via the community.

Thanks

James