cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which devices still work with Wi-fi calling preferred?

mcsmartie
Investigator
Investigator

After recent Android updates, it seems like a lot of people have been complaining that Wi-Fi calling now only activates when the regular mobile signal is down to very weak or completely absent, where previously you could select Wi-Fi calling preferred which would activate and use Wi-Fi calling regardless of the mobile signal level, giving a stable connection for calls and SMS when in any area, especially in a variable or poor signal area.

Now, for me, on a Huawei P Smart, where I work in an poor signal area, the reception would flicker from 1 to none, I can't keep Wi-Fi calling active and maintain a reliable connection for calls and SMS.

To get over this, I kept my phone on airplane mode, and Wi-Fi calling would stay on. I thought this worked, until i noticed I stopped receiving SMS. I spoke to EE technical support a few times, and it was eventually figured out by someone after they had access to a new bit software that could track all the SMS to and from my phone. They were seeing that when I was on Wi-Fi calling and airplane mode, that after a while, usually a day, the SMS gateway would see me as offline, and not send any external SMS to me even though I was connected with Wi-Fi calling. SMS from EE network would still get through though. So this meant Wi-Fi calling on airplane mode was not good for use for more than 24hrs. Not sure if this is just flaw in the Wi-Fi calling protocol or EE's implementation.

So it seems that to keep Wi-Fi calling working for SMS, you need a mobile signal once in a while. Additionally, i'd have to keep remembering to turn airplane mode on/off when moving around to get Wi-Fi calling working anyway.

To get over this, i've had to go back to a Harrier Mini running Android 5, which activates Wi-Fi calling whilst there's a mobile signal. Everything works as calls/SMS are routed (preferred) over Wi-Fi calling, and the  mobile signal flickers on once in a while to let the SMS gateway that everything is online so SMS is reliable. 

That's fine. Except the Android experience on Lollipop. Are there any newer handsets out that still have a Wi-Fi calling preferred option, so I can use Wi-Fi calling whilst there is still some sort of mobile signal?

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@mcsmartie   To answer your question the answer is no.  WiFi calling only kicks in when in a poor to no signal area.  

@Chris_B That is clearly not the case for all phones. I even gave an example in my post of one phone, where Wi-Fi calling kicks in and is used for any mobile signal level.

I'm looking if users here know of any other phones which still have this Wi-Fi calling preferred feature. I'm presuming this will be for phones which have not received updates for a while, like the Harrier Mini I mentioned.

@mcsmartie   Newer devices kick in WiFi calling when the signal is poor.  If you want a device where WiFi calling works  regardless of signal quality then you need to look for a device that isn’t supported anymore because that’s how it used to work.  All current devices only allow WiFi calling to work when there is poor to no signal. 

@Chris_B 🤔 Yes, that's what I wrote that I was looking for. I did say presumably devices which are not receiving updates anymore.  I'm sure there must be a few devices out there newer than my Harrier Mini.

If anyone is using an EE device which connects to Wi-Fi calling for any mobile signal (Wi-Fi calling preferred), would be great to find out.

Any device before Android P.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

@BrendonH thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure it's all devices before Android P update though, my Huawei P smart wouldn't connect to WiFi calling with a signal on Oreo, so i think varies with the brand.

Doesn't vary with the brand could be before Android O then.

Thought it's only been nearly a year but could been longer then that.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
PhilipL
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

.I thought this worked, until i noticed I stopped receiving SMS. I spoke to EE technical support a few times, and it was eventually figured out by someone after they had access to a new bit software that could track all the SMS to and from my phone. They were seeing that when I was on Wi-Fi calling and airplane mode, that after a while, usually a day, the SMS gateway would see me as offline, and not send any external SMS to me even though I was connected with Wi-Fi calling. 

I've seen exactly this as well, I use the same trick of Airplane mode and notice if I have no mobile connection for a few days SMS messages stop being received, although calls continue fine.

Something EE needs to fix.