Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random mobiles claiming I have called them

Sarah2083
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I’ve had lots

of calls today from various mobile numbers claiming I have miss called them - which I haven’t! I’ve checked call history too and shows no calls made by me.

I know others have had this too, but EE Haven’t been helpful with what to do to solve this issue. I’m concerned my personal data has been compromised by them if it is a network error as i was told.

I don’t want to change my number if I can help it.

any ideas on how to stop this and on what’s actually caused this? 

74 REPLIES 74
Lee_H
Legend
Legend

Hi @Sarah2083 and welcome to the community.

I can assure you data has not been comprimised.

The customer service agent you spoke to will have passed our example over to the the teams dealing with this.

Many thanks,

Lee

I have also had this in the last 2 hours I had 4 calls from people saying they were returning a missed call from me. I logged it via chat with an agent but I don't think the issue was grasped by him as he was telling me the bill is not itemised so I won't see the numbers!!!

Someone or something is generating calls spoofing our numbers. The only ones we are aware of are the one that show as missed calls. Are there 10 times that many being answered and if so what do they get? dodgy call centre, recorded message from some company?

Ghostocain
Investigator
Investigator

Twice today I have recieved phone calls from numbers I do not recognise, yet they tell me they've had a missed call from me. Neither number appears in my call log and this number was ported to EE over two months ago.

Well @Lee_H@@@@@care to explain, why our phones numbers are showing up in someone's call log when we haven't phone them

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I assume the scammers have noticed that people answer calls where there's caller ID presented, and possibly even more so when it's a mobile. I had a call from a mobile yesterday, and it was the typical recorded voice about having an accident.

Users on other networks are reporting the same issue as well.

With so many people affected and across multiple networks, I imagine it will get the focus it needs.

I'm surprised so many people try and call back a number that they don't recognise though.

Spoken with CS today, and they are actively investigating the issue apparently they had emails sent to the agents yesterday regarding it, although the CS agent I spoke to suggested they would bar the numbers who were calling me "back" so not 100% they totally grasp the issue.

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

It's an interesting one as the call that EE needs to investigate is the one received by the person that called you, and it may not have been over the EE network.

Communication Providers are responsible for ensuring the validity of the CLI that is carried over the network however it could easily have come from abroad, so will be a lot harder to track down and different laws may apply.

J-2
Explorer

Hi. I’ve had a fortnight of this ,sometimes 30 calls a day, even 10 calls in 30 minutes yesterday,   These are calls from ordinary people saying my landline called their mobile which I haven’t  (I’ve checked none of these calls logged in my EE)

I’ve now had multiple phone calls with EE : initially said scammers, then crossed line, then back to spoofers/scammers. BT engineer visits set up three times - 3 mornings staying home waiting. EE gave me money back me for one missed.. BT  say it’s not a crossed line.
EE  now made me ex-directory. ( I didn’t know when last broadband /landline contract set up that had to Opt-out of being in a directory. Know for next time).  

EE saying if the calls don’t stop I will have to change my landline number with all the huge knock effects having to contact every service use and everyone I know to inform changed number which I really don’t want to but so fed up with the calls

If I don’t answer, the people text and I get a call with text as voice text, or they leave a message on my answering machine. 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good Afternoon @J-2

Welcome to the EE Community. 

Thanks for sharing this information. 

When was your number changed to ex-directory?

Have you received anymore calls since then?

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂