by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: ,My Number used by someone to make call

@Cambridgekeith I saw on tv recently that malicious people can use apps that fake their number and put different background noise on. 

Add to this that some malicious person might post a fake add with your number on it to disrupt you or your business then we see it's all very difficult to stop. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed : I was phoned today by "BT" to tell me they were going to cut-off my BB. After I told them they were liars & scammers & to "go away!", I phoned the valid UK no. back on the off-chance. To my surprise, it unusually connected. It was answered by a Scots guy who had himself also been scammed today by "BT". Now they're using his no to scam others. It would not surprise now that they were also using mine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@XRaySpeX I don't take calls at all from numbers I'm not sure of. I don't call those same numbers back either, not even with my number withheld. I'm equally suspicious of texts I might receive. As for emails, I don't click on links within them. If I think I might have been contacted legitimately I'll consider contacting whoever / whatever organisation, but I'll contact them via a legitimate number or website, etc, if I do so. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed : I do all those things & no harm's done 😉!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@XRaySpeX what do you mean? Do you mean that you do similar to me and no harm done?

Or do you mean that you answer unknown and unfamiliar calls, etc, and no harm done?

If the latter, yes, I could do that and be astute about it. But I choose the former because, in my opinion, to even take a call from someone illegitimate would lead to more illigitimate calls and texts, etc, and maybe even them using my number in anger to flood me with calls and texts. Some scammers, I think, can be pests as well as scammers. Just like some pests can be scammers as well as pests. 

I think I'm pretty astute, but most certainly for those who are not astute, and even for those who are astute, in my opinion it's best not to take unknown and unfamiliar calls. 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, I do all the things you don't & it doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Even clicking on a link can be informative. It's following the instructions at the link that is a no-no.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I agree with @XRaySpeX , I answer unknown numbers and numbers withheld, as they could be important, and the person calling may be using a different number to the one you have on your contact list and know. It has done me no harm. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Exactly as @Schockwave says & blow the scammers. They are easy to recognise; they're just noise in the bigger scheme of things. To hang with it, every Tom, Richard & Harry knows my phone nos. & I haven't lost a penny to them.

Nor can you label a wrong no. as illegitimate!

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@XRaySpeX @Schockwave by illegitimate calls I mean faked numbers, scammers and callers whom I've not given consent to call me. On top of that I dislike sales calls. I don't like to be put on the spot by sales calls. Yes, I opt out but the occasional one still calls me. Any important caller from an unrecognised number should and would leave a voice message. 

by acepaul Established Contributor
Established Contributor

This happened to a company with a talk talk landline

there is a website where you can buy text messages, somehow and you put whatever you want as senders number

if you want to upset somebody put their number as you can’t block yourself 

PAYING ORANGE “OUT HERE” CUSTOMER WHO WAS ROBBED FROM IT BY EE NEVER TRY TOO COMMICATE TO “MA” HE IS TO RUDE TO REPLY
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.