by KristinaGum Investigator
Investigator

I am currently in Nepal and my phone won’t allow me to make any calls

I am currently in Nepal and my phone won’t allow me to make any calls at all. An automated message tells me “sorry your call is restricted”. Neither can I call EE directly or top up my balance using 150 or the online portal as this is currently down. I need help urgently please as I will be leaving on a multi-day trek without access to internet and I will need to make calls in case of emergency etc. Can anyone please help?

7 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I am currently in Nepal and my phone won’t allow me to make any calls

@KristinaGum  You need to use WiFi and top via online as it sounds like you have no credit to make any calls.  Your calls are chargeable while your there. 

Even calling EE is chargeable.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @KristinaGum.

I hope you're having a great time in Nepal.

Let us know how you get on following @Chris_B's advice Smiley Happy

Jon

Investigator

Hi Chris! 

Thabk you for your response.

I still had about £1,60 left but managed to top up in the meantime. However I still get the same message when I try and pick up the phone - “sorry, your call is restricted” 

Could this have something to do with roaming and that I am not set up to make calls or send texts from abroad? 

I’ve read through some forums and tried several things to maybe change this online or via my phone settings but nothing seems to work. 

Is there any way I can contact EE other than by phoning them or visiting a store? Neither are currently an option for me...

by

Hi @KristinaGum.

Are you currently able to receive calls?

Jon

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You don't need to set up PAYG for roaming. It is auto enabled.

£1.60 is not enough to make a call there. See https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/nepal for prices.

It is possible your later top-up has gone to buy your usual UK pack, leaving you no credit.

Can you send & receive texts? What exactly does texting AL to 150 report?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi, 

I don’t know if I can receive calls. 

As for messages, these are not going out either. I have tried sending one to 150 as well and it’s not going through. 

As mentioned, I have managed to top up my balance to over £20 so I definitely have enough credit to make calls or send texts. 

by

Hi @KristinaGum,

Can you text BAL to 150 and let me know what your available credit is at the moment?

As @XRaySpeX has advised, your pay as you go account will already be up and running for you to use abroad. You need to have enough credit on your account to use the services out side your pack allowance.

Alex Smiley Happy

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.