Highlighted
by stephen5000 Contributor
Contributor

How to add a phone to EE signal booster box?

I have an EE signal booster box at home, working 100% with my phone. My girlfriend use to be able to connect to it with her old EE Rook automatically, but now she upgraded to an iPhone 5SE, and it won't connect. Tried turning both her phone & box off/on, but still won't connect via box. How do I get her phone to connect?

(Instructions say, "Up to four people can connect to your Signal Box at any one time.", so there must be a procedure to use further handsets).

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Solution

Re: How to add a phone to EE signal booster box?

Issue now solved! Turns out her phone was 'WiFi call' enabled. This takes priority over the EE signal box. When 'WiFi call' is switched off, the phone automatically starts to use the EE signal box.

We only noticed it as during a call she was on I saw that the green light on the booster box was not flashing like it does on my old Nokia (Invented before WiFi phones!)

So, it turns out that iPhones are 100% compatible with the EE signal booster box!

15 REPLIES 15
by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @stephen5000

Thanks for coming here.

Have you tried re-setting the network settings on the iPhone?

Go to Settings > General > Reset Network Settings.

This will remove any saved WiFi passwords.

Leanne.

Contributor

"This will remove any saved WiFi passwords."

mmm... she'd kill me if I did that, she has loads of saved passwords LOL Will wait and see if a solution is offered that won't upset any existing settings on her phone... Annoying that her old £30 Rook connected straight away, but her expensive iPhone is having a hissy fit!

by

Hi @stephen5000

This is just WiFi passwords that will be removed.

You could try giving us a call on 150 and see of our Tech Gurus can help you get connected 🙂

Leanne.

Contributor

Shame you just can't register a phone number + IMEI number online and get it sorted... Hate calling 'help' lines as the last thing most do, is 'help'!

by

Hi @stephen5000

You can also access our online chat team at the bottom of this page, If you're with us on a pay monthly account.

They can have a look into this for you.

Leanne 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I seem to remember it's something to do with an incompatibility between the iPhone using IPv6 but the Signal Box only using IPv4. If you could somehow change the APN Protocol to IPV4 Only in the phone's APN, that might fix it. I think some users have had to create a 2nd APN with that value as the default one can't be altered.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

I seem to remember it's something to do with an incompatibility between the iPhone using IPv6 but the Signal Box only using IPv4. If you could somehow change the APN Protocol to IPV4 Only in the phone's APN, that might fix it. I think some users have had to create a 2nd APN with that value as the default one can't be altered.

Any chance of that in English? LOL

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The iPhone is incompatible with the EE Signal Box :smileywink:. GIYF.

Can you not make use of WiFi Calling instead?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

GIYF! You are so funny... :smileylol:

However, other folk seem to have got it to work, I obviously just need to get one to post here, but thanks anyway...

by

Hi @stephen5000,

I would recommend using EE WiFi Calling as suggested by @XRaySpeX.

Thanks

James

Contributor

@James_B wrote:

Hi @stephen5000,

I would recommend using EE WiFi Calling as suggested by @XRaySpeX.

Thanks

James

OK, what is "WiFi Calling" and how do I do that?

by

Hi @stephen5000,

WiFi Calling allows you to make calls using your home WiFi connection.

Please take a look at How do I use WiFi calling? for more information.

Hope this helps.

James

Contributor
Solution

Issue now solved! Turns out her phone was 'WiFi call' enabled. This takes priority over the EE signal box. When 'WiFi call' is switched off, the phone automatically starts to use the EE signal box.

We only noticed it as during a call she was on I saw that the green light on the booster box was not flashing like it does on my old Nokia (Invented before WiFi phones!)

So, it turns out that iPhones are 100% compatible with the EE signal booster box!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You mean that iPhones are 100% compatible with the EE signal booster box when they 100% avoid using it altogether :smileywink:!

Contributor

I just assumed they were smart enough to know that the majority of WiFi is free, hence automatically prioritise that over an avaiable EE signal, which is often not! Come on, don't be so hard on yourself just because you were wrong! :smileylol: It's all good...

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.