Highlighted
by ollyc Investigator
Investigator

Help with credit on PAYG

For a long time I had an EE pay monthly account. I moved to New Zealand but have kept the UK mobile as a PAYG device.

I was told I needed to do something like make a call every six months in order not to lose the number (first question - is this true?)

So, I tried to top up in order to do this. This is how it went:

1 March - " you need to make a chargeable call/text ... otherwise you may lose your number..." I think last text was on 13/09/18

3 March - your current balance is £0.35

17 March - Thanks for topping up £5.00 on your EE account. New balance £5.35

17 March - I made a 3 second call which connected to voicemail on a UK mobile

20 March - text from EE "you now have £0.55"

So where did £4.80 disappear to? I have Data Roaming switched off.

Thanks for the help.

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Help with credit on PAYG

That's exactly the charge for a 4 min call from NZ. You sure you weren't on for 3+ mins leaving a VM? Have a look at your MyEE Recent Usage.

Data has nowt to do with it. You were using voice.

Yes, you need to make a chargeable call or text at least every 180 days to keep your PAYG SIM & credit alive.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by ollyc Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for replying.

Absolutely definitely 0.03 minutes only i.e. 3 seconds.

The plot thickens.

I tried to look at MyEE Recent usage by logging in to my account. I can login, but find it has been deleted. Presumably this was something to do with the move to PAYG. 

So, I re-register as a new user using a different email address and set up the account with my mobile number.

Fortunately this allows me to load recent usage in the last 30 days.

Here's what it says:

Received Voice Call while Roaming19 Mar 19 22:509112-00:00:13£1.20
Received Voice Call while Roaming19 Mar 19 21:459112-00:00:15£1.20
Received Voice Call while Roaming18 Mar 19 13:089112-00:00:14£1.20

(and presumably there's a fourth I can't see that will make it add up to £4.80)

Now again, I can absolutely categorically say that I did not answer these calls. I have the text messages on my phone to say that I didn't. The callers didn't even leave a message. How can EE charge me roaming prices for calls I didn't answer? These were most likely junk marketing calls from the UK from numbers not stored in my address book.

What to do next? I want to keep the number and top up credit any time I visit the UK, but I don't want EE to gobble up my credit every time I get an unwanted call. 

Any ideas?

Thanks.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@ollyc you need to contact EE to make your case. There are various ways:

Using the 0800 number via Skype would be free for you.

Using EE Live Chat to talk by typing via the EE website. 

Or an EE employee on here could private message you to take up your case.

I think that the latter might be easiest. There are a number of EE employees on here - and I'm confident that one of them will reach out to you very soon. You can then give that person your name and account details and tell your full case to him, her or them. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, they were incoming calls that went to VoiceMail, even if they did not bother to leave any msg. You musta left VM on when you left UK. Text VM OFF to 150 to switch it off & it won't happen again.

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ollyc wrote:

(and presumably there's a fourth I can't see that will make it add up to £4.80)

The 4th will be the 3 sec outgoing call you made that has not yet reached the Usage log.

by ollyc Investigator
Investigator

Yes I did leave VM on, with a message telling people that I live in NZ. This is what I would have done going overseas when I had a pay monthly account.

So you're saying that EE is able to deduct a charge from your credit just for a caller connecting to voicemail when you are overseas? Seems a bit unfair to me. 

Having been on pay monthly for 20 years and never had a PAYG mobile in my life up to now I may have been caught out by the way it works.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you are charged for receiving any call outside the EU, whether you pick it up yourself or it goes to VM. Same for contract. See How much does it cost to use my voicemail while I'm abroad?

by ollyc Investigator
Investigator

Thanks again for your help, and for the link. I think the info there is very vague - deliberately so?

"use my voicemail" - what does that mean?

"If you're travelling within the EU, you can use voicemail just as you would at home.

In non-EU countries you'll be charged a standard per-minute roaming call rate depending on what plan you're on."

I would contend that a reasonable person would interpret that as meaning dialing in to their voicemail to retrieve messages. I would not infer from this information that using voicemail would include somebody leaving an unsolicited message.

I would think that EE has a duty to make it explicitly clear that receiving a VM message, even if not retrieved, will incur a charge. Never in 20 years of having mobile phone contracts in the UK have I heard that an unanswered call could be charged at roaming rates, if connected to VM.

I'm still waiting for someone from EE to come along and join this discussion with their input on the matter.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ollyc

By dialling your voicemail or someone leaving you a voicemail, you are using voicemail. I've asked for the information on the help page to be made clearer.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can turn off your voicemail by texting VM OFF to 150.

Thanks

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.