Highlighted
by Evertonian Investigator
Investigator

Calling US 0800 number from Australia on Max plan - is it free or chargeable ?

I'm on a Max plan which includes Australia. I'm in Australia and want to call an 0800 (freephone) number in the US. I regularly call landline and mobile numbers in the US free of charge as they're included in the plan, but EE's pricing states 'calls to Freephone 080' are not included in the allowance but they are free of charge - explain that one ! The bottom line is, it's not clear and I don't want to make the call and then get into a scrap to recover the cost.

EE, please clarify your pricing policy on Freephone 080 numbers. Even better, amend your published pricing to make it clear and unambiguous.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Calling US 0800 number from Australia on Max plan - is it free or chargeable

They are called Toll-Free nos in the US. In the US they are 1 (country code) -800 & few others, none of which are 0800. They are not included in your allowance, as you say, & so are not covered by the Max plan roaming, even when you are in the EU outside UK. UK Freephone 0800 nos are also not included in your allowance but are priced free. However this not extend to Toll-Free nos in other countries.

Therefore they will be charged just like calling any other out-of-allowance no., i.e. £1.20 / min from Oz.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
4 REPLIES 4
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Calling US 0800 number from Australia on Max plan - is it free or chargeable

@Evertonian The US doesn't have 0800 numbers. Did you mean 1800?

Or did you mean UK instead of US?

Investigator

Good point, thanks your right. But they are freephone numbers as our 0800 numbers are. Trouble is I still don't know whether I'll be charged or not as they are technically landline numbers so not chargeable - unless EE has a different view.  

Investigator

No, I definitely meant US.

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

They are called Toll-Free nos in the US. In the US they are 1 (country code) -800 & few others, none of which are 0800. They are not included in your allowance, as you say, & so are not covered by the Max plan roaming, even when you are in the EU outside UK. UK Freephone 0800 nos are also not included in your allowance but are priced free. However this not extend to Toll-Free nos in other countries.

Therefore they will be charged just like calling any other out-of-allowance no., i.e. £1.20 / min from Oz.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.