by Helenlpearce
Explorer

why can't i hear people on Skype

Whenever I use skype now I can't hear people on the other end of the video call, why is this?

6 REPLIES 6
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: why can't i hear people on Skype

Welcome to the Community. Can you hear them when using other chat apps?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Helenlpearce.

Welcome to the community. 🙂

Further to @Peter_C's question, can you hear people OK on normal calls?

If you record a video on the device camera or another app, are you able to hear the sound?

Look forward to hearing from you (no pun intended).

Chris

by Helenlpearce
Explorer

We can hear normal calls fine, and we have tried from a pc to a mac in this country and it works fine. The problems we have been having are when we are trying to speak with realtives in Canada. The problem went away two weeks ago but has come back again last night.Thanks Helen

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Helenlpearce,

What type of device are you using Skype on?

Thanks

James

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Helenlpearce wrote:

We can hear normal calls fine, and we have tried from a pc to a mac in this country and it works fine. The problems we have been having are when we are trying to speak with realtives in Canada. The problem went away two weeks ago but has come back again last night.Thanks Helen

As the problem is only with the canadians then the problem will be at their end. Skype is very flaky software.   I would guess they have inadvertently set their Skype setting to another input instead of the Microphone.  This may have been from using other software on their PC.

Advice- ask them to restart their PC, then restart skype.  Then to test skype call by using the skype testing service - it should be in their contacts. If that does not work, ask them to go to skype preferences and check audio/video. Select Audio input to internal microphone. Test again.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

One further point; if they are using an android tablet like an Amazon Fire Hd8 then they too are a bit temperamental with Skype. Amazon say it is supprted but the app is also very flaky. ( i think the theme here is that Microsoft are not very good at designing software). So in my experience tebooting the Tablet cures the sound issue. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.