by Rothermick Contributor
Contributor

variation in speed between 4 and 30Mbs sat across from router

Pay for 38Mbs fibre optic package but get a variation of between 4 and 30 Mbs even sat across from router also my son complains that it loses packets whatever they are any suggestions will save me a lot of grief

24 REPLIES 24
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: variation in speed between 4 and 30Mbs sat across from router

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

You don't pay for the speed at the WiFi but the BB sync speed at the router.

If you would like help with your speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the steps and provide the data as requested in the Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? sticky. This will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Cheers will sort this out as soon as I can

by
EE Employee

Hi@Rothermick and welcome to the community.

Do pop back once you have the details @XRaySpeX needs as he will be able to assist.

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

Hope so Lee thanks

Contributor

Contributor

Have sent the details to Xrayspecs.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

The second pic shows you are connected at 40 / 10, so your speed tests may be impacted by something on your network. Are you abe to test via a wired connected with nothing else connected to the router?

Also try speedtest.net to see if the results are the same.

Let us know how you get on, it will help determine if the slowdown is in your local network, or with BT/EE.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, your BB connection is fine but your actual throughput is awful.

Was that speedtest done wired? Please click the "Results Page" button and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Hi, these are the wired results

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1498489026242479555 - Wired speed
results

Thanks, RotherMick
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Hi, these are the wired results

Still slow :(.

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the router stats & the  wired TBB speedtest result when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Contributor

hi XraySpex i havent got a test socket to plug the router...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: hi XraySpex i havent got a test socket to plug the router...

What phone extensions do you have at your home?

Contributor

Re: hi XraySpex i havent got a test socket to plug the router...

Hi
I have one extension cable plugged into the front of the box
https://gyazo.com/316b5ee0001f73f2f42a51026f371677 - this is the
result with it unplugged
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I meant how many phone sockets built into the walls, that may be connected behind your master socket?

You are using the master socket for the BB?

Do you now get better speeds with that wired extension plugged out?

Contributor

Ok sorry
I have one socket upstairs which isn't used and nothing else wired into the master
Yes the router is plugged into the master

Sent from my iPhone
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

A redundant extension is a probable source of interference - especially if it is unused.  I would suggest as a minimum you get a new master socket VDSL NTE5 - with split plate front, dual socket (one for phone, one for router). This will have a built in micro filter. I would ensure that the old extension wiring is completely disconnected from the master socket.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It could caused by your internal wiring & w/out a test socket you are unable to isolate it. That unused extension socket could be acting like an aerial & intensifying any noise.

Contributor

The extension socket in the bedroom is unused due to workmen damaging the wiring so no dial tone can be heard
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

The OP has already shown that he is syncing at 40 - 10, so whilst the internal wiring and a better master socket will no doubt help, they have not said what they use to test, or that if they can do the test with no other applications running, either on their device or any other that is connected to the router.

Cloud connected stuff such as iCloud - Google drive or many others, running in the background, mobile phones or someone else using the net at the same time can cause similar issues with speed tests. 

Bottom line is that they are getting what they pay for, but need some help understanding how to know how to test and show it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.