by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

renewing my contract

As far as I'm aware I'm on an 18 month contract which started in July 2017. That means I'm up for renewal at the end of this year. The question is - do EE contact me to arrange a new contract or do they just auto-renew? 

The concern is that the price I'm paying is above what the same package would cost if I order it now... I'd much rather negotiate the new contract and bring the cost down if possible.

:: Fibre Plus Broadband & EE TV + Essential Plan 500MB
39 REPLIES 39
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: renewing my contract

They will not contact you. The price discount you agreed 18 months ago will go, and you'll be paying a much higher monthly fee until you notice.

I got caught out by this and was charged £16pm more for the last 3 months.   I got EE to refund me the £16pm.  I am now moving to BT as the deal they offered was better than EE retentions were prepared to offer to keep me.   Surely someone has worked out the "new customers get better deals" issue destroys brand loyalty?

It is easy and cheap to keep an existing customer, but Kevin Bacon costs a lot of money to get new ones...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The 18 months is not the length of your contract but just its min. term. Thereafter it just carries on on a rolling month basis.

You cannot get the new  customer price as you are an existing customer.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Gordon57

I recommend contacting our customer service team towards the end of your minimum term to negotiate a new contract.

Let us know what happens. 🙂

Chris

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

The 18 months is not the length of your contract but just its min. term. Thereafter it just carries on on a rolling month basis.

You cannot get the new  customer price as you are an existing customer.

That is the technical description of it... but the practical effect is you get stung for an increased tariff and you do not have a choice other than leaving, as even though you are out of contract (you call it rolling, I call it auto-renewal) you can't leave and return.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Paulosb: The law calls it "contract". You don't get stung. Part of that contract, as agreed at sign-up, was an agreed price that increased, by the removal of an initial discount, at the same time as the min. term expired.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@Paulosb: The law calls it "contract". You don't get stung. Part of that contract, as agreed at sign-up, was an agreed price that increased, by the removal of an initial discount, at the same time as the min. term expired.

You call it what you want, it is an end of contract and I have exercised my right to leave.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Christopher_G wrote:

Hi @Gordon57

I recommend contacting our customer service team towards the end of your minimum term to negotiate a new contract.

Let us know what happens. 🙂

Chris

Yes, will do that. 

I'm not out of the 18 months until December but have started looking around as we have EETV as well and not all ISP's have a TV offering. 

As part of that I was trying to compare EE prices with others but, for some reason, it seems EE are not offering the higher (76Mb) service in my area now?  I'm on that, so I know it's available, but even the price comparison sites don't show anything higher than 38Mb for EE. Using the EE site gives me a max 38Mb service

The Now TV site tells me they cannot supply broadband at all, which is odd.  It's for this reason I've started looking already. I don't know why their site says that when I already have the level of service I want to keep (and Sky LLU is available here) 

It's making it difficult to get the right information. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Gordon57,

What speeds are you currently receiving?

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

This is what all ISPs base their offering on.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Around 55/8 on average

@James_B wrote:

Hi @Gordon57,

Thanks

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

You've looked at this before...

Telephone Number 01302nnnnnn on Exchange DONCASTER is served by Cabinet 36

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus

VDSL Range A (Clean)62.543.815.31039.7AvailableAvailable-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)49.13013.36.922.4AvailableAvailable-- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 8--6.5 to 14Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 8Up to 16.5 to 14Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 6--5 to 8Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date15-08-2018 
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I forget! Musta been another thread.

You should be offered most ISPs fastest fibre based on that & your actual speeds confirm that. But not from BT themselves as their lowest fibre covers up to 55 Meg (unlike EE's who only go up to 40 Meg).

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

You should be offered most ISPs fastest fibre based on that & your actual speeds confirm that. But not from BT themselves as their lowest fibre covers up to 55 Meg (unlike EE's who only go up to 40 Meg).

That's what I thought, but the checkers don't want to offer me the 76Mb offering, which is rather unhelpful when I'm trying to see what my options are.

I'm getting some crazy speedtests at TTB though... 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1535655266638324555.png

Smiley Frustrated 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Making clickable (URLs in Code aren't):

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1535655266638324555.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Please post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

DSL STATUS This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS  Configured CurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Fast Path
AutomaticG.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATIONUpstreamDownstream
9081 (Kbps)
58116 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATIONOperation Data Upstream DownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
6.3 (dB)6.3 (dB)
0.0 (dB)19.5 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
6.6 (dBm)12.5 (dBm)
----
----
----
STATISTICSReceived DataTransmitted Data
29012211 (Kbits)
3714811 (Kbits)

INTERNETBroadband TypeBroadband StateInternet StateTime ConnectedDownstream RateUpstream RateIP AddressIPv6 AddressIPv6 PrefixBroadband Username
Fibre
Connected
Connected
331:24:05
58.12 Mbps
9.08 Mbps
2.27.xxx.xxx
N/A
::/0
PR--------------------------------
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you are getting 58 Meg sync speed (which is what all IPs are talking about when they quote speeds, not speedtests) up near the top of the VDSL Clean range. All ISPs ought to be able to quote & provide you with this.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Yep, I know 'cos thats the package I'm paying EE for at present. But the EE site does not show this as an option when I do a check on my number/postcode, and several other checkers also fail to support that level, only offering the 38Mb packages. 

The only thing I can think of is that the cabinet is full and no further orders can be taken, but that is then  contradicted if they can offer the lesser service. 

As and when I'm ready to re-order or change I'll be calling the various companies - and fully expect them to say no, you can't have 76Mb, despite being on it already.  That's not for another couple of months or so yet. 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@James_B wrote:

Hi @Gordon57,

Thanks

James

Hi James, how can I get EE (and others) to recognise that I am already on the higher package?  I've just bene on the website again, also BT, PlusNet, TalkTalk and a comparison site. All are insisting I can only have a max 40Mb package when I'm already on the 76Mb one. 

It's impossible trying to compare packages as none of the sites will list what I actually want, and know I can get. 

@XRaySpeX has already looked at my settings to confirm I am on the higher package, and the BT checker confirms that as well. Details are further back in this thread.

It seems to be an issue with the main BT system when I enter my postcode and phone number. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.