by maggiep163 Investigator
Investigator

my fibre download speed is between 6 and 14 according to various checkers. Help?

I expected much faster download speeds when moving to fibre, but according to the EE BT checkers am only getting around 6mbps download, other checkers suggest around 14mbps. None of these come close to the advertised 'up to 38mbps'. I'm not very technical, can anyone help?

24 REPLIES 24
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: my fibre download speed is between 6 and 14 according to various checkers. H

@maggiep163  Have you tried just restarting the router?  Turn it off for 30+ seconds and then reboot it. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: my fibre download speed is between 6 and 14 according to various checkers. H

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

4. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks you, I have just done that but hardly any difference.

Investigator

"For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues."

I can't see how to do this I'm afraid - I did say I'm not very technical! The broadband tests I have done have all been on a wired connection.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You login to the SH at http://192.168.1.254 as user "admin" with the admin password given on the slide-out label on the back of the router.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Here is the information:

Product name:Smart Hub

Serial number:+EEH001+1806007795

Firmware version:v0.00.24.06190-EE

Firmware updated:Tue Jul 10 06:58:38 2018

Board version:01

DSL uptime:0 Days, 0 Hours, 19 Mins, 47 Secs

Data rate:6.77 Mbps / 16.49 Mbps

Maximum data rate:6.77 Mbps / 22.45 Mbps

Noise margin (up/down):6.2 / 10.3

Line attenuation (up/down):28.0 / 22.9

Signal attenuation (up/down):28.2 / 19.9

Data sent / received:34.2 MB / 203.2 MB

Broadband username:annepoole.orangehome.co.uk@fs

2.4 GHz wireless network name:EE-Hub-RwU8

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless network name:EE-Hub-RwU8

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 48)

Wireless security:WPA2

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:Default

MAC address:94:6A:B0:3E:78:16

Software variant:-

Boot loader:

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I'll need the rest to be able to help you.

Investigator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1545234154790519555

Exchange:

Exchange name:Exchange code:

Wellington
WNWEL

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperObserved SpeedsG.FastVDSLOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus
VDSL Range A (Clean)42.8307.85.326.1Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)41.726.37.7521.7Available---- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2--1.5 to 4Available--Yes 
ADSL MaxUp to 1.5--1 to 3.5Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available--Yes 
Fixed Rate1 ----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)--16.49     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)--6.7     
Observed Date--2018-12-11     
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapN      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date12-12-2018      

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 30-Nov-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That last table shows you are only getting about a half to a third of what you should be getting Down.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

Investigator

Thanks for the advice, might take me a little time to test this as our master socket is upstairs and my PC is downstairs. I should be able to do the tests using a laptop though hopefully. Please don't close the thread though as I'm still here!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's OK. We'll wait. We're always here & will see when you post.

Investigator

'Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected.'

We have a split faceplate and unscrewed the 2 screws but the plate won't come off, we think it must be wired in somehow. We do have one unused extension socket and two used ones, the used ones have filters on.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The faceplate should come off some way. If wired correctly it should have the 3 extensions wired to the back of it. Maybe they are short & too tight.

Does it look like the 1 shown in Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection?

Investigator

Yes, it is the same as that one. We'll have another go and come back to you, thank you.

Investigator

The quiet line check showed no noise on the line. Here are the stats from the test socket:

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+EEH001+1806007795
Firmware version:v0.00.24.06190-EE
Firmware updated:Tue Jul 10 06:58:38 2018
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 Days, 0 Hours, 5 Mins, 17 Secs
Data rate:8.42 Mbps / 18.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate:8.42 Mbps / 35.41 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):6.3 / 16.2
Line attenuation (up/down):36.2 / 22.6
Signal attenuation (up/down):37.3 / 20.3
Data sent / received:4.0 MB / 36.1 MB
Broadband username:annepoole.orangehome.co.uk@fs
2.4 GHz wireless network name:EE-Hub-RwU8
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name:EE-Hub-RwU8
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 48)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:94:6A:B0:3E:78:16
Software variant:-
Boot loader: 0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec 4 17:32:53 2017
by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's a bit faster but the DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, at the top of the up to 18 Meg band of these VDSL Banded Profiles, altho' you now have no significant errors. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10 days you should ask EE to investigate the underlying fault. If a fault is found and fixed then the OR engineer may request a DLM reset. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

How long has it been slow? Maybe they didn't reset the DLM when you switched to Fibre.

Investigator

It's always been slow, before fibre it was only about 1mbps if I recall correctly. The current speed has probably been the same since we switched.

I have a bit of a problem leaving the router connected to the test socket for 10 days as I work from a hard-wired desktop downstairs.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The speeds of ADSL & Fibre can't be compared. On ADSL the best estimate was 4 Meg anyway. How long you been on Fibre?

Just run it then from the front socket & keep an eye on the Down sync speed.

Investigator

We've been on fibre snce July 2018. I need to take the router back downstairs and reconnect it to the extension socket as this is the one near my desktop. Is this going to be a problem?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.