by T5115 Investigator
Investigator

mastersocket wiring isnt connected but wifi works.

I opened up my master socket to find out the wires were not connected but it still works. How is this? When I try to connect my broadband to the socket upstairs where the wiring is also not connected it doesnt work.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: mastersocket wiring isnt connected but wifi works.

@T5115:

1. The master socket has a BB & phone signal as it is fed from the back of the complete assembly..
  2. The slave socket has no BB & phone signal as it not connected to the back of the faceplate of the master socket (the bit on floor of the top picture). The wires are just hanging loose.
  3. To get a signal at the slave socket you will need to connect the same colour wires to the terminals 2 and 5 only on back of faceplate as they are in slave socket. You might need a special Krone insertion tool.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
24 REPLIES 24
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Yeah sure.
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi there and welcome. 

Would you be able to send a picture inside the master socket? 

by T5115 Investigator
Investigator

No problem, but shall I take a picture of both the sockets for you?

by T5115 Investigator
Investigator

IMG_20160412_165857.jpgIMG_20160412_165940.jpgI am unable to get a picture of the other socket but this is the master socket, I have my broadband plugged in the test socket because someone needed the wifi while I was taking pictures. Even when I put the faceplate back on and put the cable in,  my broadband and phone work.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@T5115:

1. The master socket has a BB & phone signal as it is fed from the back of the complete assembly..
  2. The slave socket has no BB & phone signal as it not connected to the back of the faceplate of the master socket (the bit on floor of the top picture). The wires are just hanging loose.
  3. To get a signal at the slave socket you will need to connect the same colour wires to the terminals 2 and 5 only on back of faceplate as they are in slave socket. You might need a special Krone insertion tool.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by T5115 Investigator
Investigator

I took the faceplate off for the picture to show the wires. If I reattach the wires will my signal and broadband speed be quicker and increase?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

(Post deleted because XRaySpeX is the BB expert and I was incorrect)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@T5115: If you reattach the slave socket wires to the back of the master socket faceplate your BB signal & speed from the master socket could well worsen as you are introducing effectively an aerial. For that reason it is always recommended to always take your BB from the master socket.

However in doing so you will now be able to get your BB from the slave socket but it will most likely be slower than from the master socket. It will be a trade-off for you between having your router at a more convenient location at the slave socket against sacrificing some speed & reliability. You may take your BB from either the master socket or the slave socket but not both at the same time.

@Peter_C: Not true! There will be both BB & voice at the slave socket. There is no filtered faceplate in sight there.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Whoops! I’m a little rusty at broadband. Deleted the content of my post!

As XRaySpex says, using the second socket may worsen speeds so if WiFi range is a problem you may be best off using extenders or other products rather than the second socket.

by T5115 Investigator
Investigator

The socket in my bedroom does not work even when using the test socket thing for my broadband and phone you think I can get openreach to come fix it without getting a charge? 

by T5115 Investigator
Investigator

So today I am getting the new brightbox 1 r hopefully and I would like to set it up in my bedroom to connect with lan to my pc than using a wifi extender because the ping is horrific. you think If I get the socket to work I can do this and will it affect the speeds of the first bb1 router 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

You can’t have two bright boxes connected to the phone line at once.

You either connect up the second phone socket and use a brighbox in your bedroom only and risk broadband speed.

Or you install the new brightbox at the master socket and improve the local network inside your house to make the most of the broadband speed.
by T5115 Investigator
Investigator

Ok so what you're saying is that I cannot have one bb router downstairs and one upstairs. I plan to have downstairs have the phone line connected and upstairs to have broadband only

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You will be charged, perhaps up to £130. Everything in front of the test socket of the master socket up to the extension sockets is your property & responsibility.

@T5115 wrote:

The socket in my bedroom does not work even when using the test socket thing for my broadband and phone

Do you mean the test socket in the master socket or does the slave socket also have a test socket? That shouldn't be. You can't have 2 master sockets.

Of course the slave socket doesn't work. It's not connected to the master socket.

by T5115 Investigator
Investigator

Every upstairs bedroom in my house has another socket in it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@T5115: Don't you remember me saying "You may take your BB from either the master socket or the slave socket but not both at the same time"? What you are proposing is impossible.

by T5115 Investigator
Investigator

Oh so the upstairs one is a slave socket I got you, so its impossibile to have two bb1 routers activated at once. Sorry for the misunderstanding cant understand that much

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No wonder there are so many loose wires (2 pairs) in the master socket :(.

by T5115 Investigator
Investigator

Wait what is the reason for the loose wires? the upstairs one has loose wiring as well

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.