by jamieth5
Explorer

line rental refund

Hi,

Does anyone know if you are able to get a refund for prepaid line rental? My bill is going to be increasing 7.5% in January, despite having only had the contract for 2 months and i am looking to move providers but paid line rental in advance.

I thought the whole point of a contract was fixed price for contract length.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by SpyderScanner Established Contributor
Established Contributor
Solution

Re: line rental refund

The only thing that is guaranteed by contract is what was agreed in the contract. You need to examine what you agreed to when the contract was set up. If you agreed to paying any increases during the life of the contract then there's little you can do. If however you feel that the increase are unfair (afterall, two months ago, EE knew they were putting up prices) you can appeal the ombudsman.

I ended my contract with TalkTalk and got back £100 advance line rental.

17 REPLIES 17
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@jamieth5  It’s not fixed at all.  If you wish to cancel a contract you have to pay off that contract as you’ve agreed to pay until the minimum term.    

by jamieth5
Explorer

Surely EE have to provide the service though. Otherwise they are false advertising their service if at any point they can increase my bill. If they increased in line with CPI and this was outlined in my contract that would make sense.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

LRS is not refundable.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by SpyderScanner Established Contributor
Established Contributor
Solution

The only thing that is guaranteed by contract is what was agreed in the contract. You need to examine what you agreed to when the contract was set up. If you agreed to paying any increases during the life of the contract then there's little you can do. If however you feel that the increase are unfair (afterall, two months ago, EE knew they were putting up prices) you can appeal the ombudsman.

I ended my contract with TalkTalk and got back £100 advance line rental.

by
EE Employee

Hi @jamieth5 and welcome to the community.

Please pop over to the broadband price changes help page for all details.

If you are not happy with how this has been handled please do see our ways to complain.

Many thanks,

Lee

by ppop Established Contributor
Established Contributor

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/nov/26/bt-wont-refund-line-rental-leaving-regulator

Its entirely relevant to EE as it is to BT, it's the same rules, whatever EE try to tell you.

It's clear that people or EE don't know the OFCOM general conditions. Can I suggest you read terms 9.3 and 9.6.

You will not have to pay a cancellation charge or pay off the contract, only what you would normally pay until you transfer to a new provider if you choose to leave. You certainly do not have to pay off the contract to the end of your minimum term. Look up 'material detriment'.

The terms of your contract allow EE to increase prices, but if they do, you get to choose whether you accept or reject the new contract, don't be fobbed off, they have decided to increase prices, it is your right to accept or reject those changes.

by zxcvbnm Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Short answer I believe is yes you should get your unused prepaid line rental refunded if you leave due to a mid contract price rise.

Longer answer, I agree completely with ppop above. When Bt increased the contract price three months in I was allowed to break contract and leave and had my line rental saver refunded. I did have to calmly insist after multiple people thought it was not allowed but then realised their mistake... EE should be much the same.

It will depend on you following the proper procedure however. Contact EE as mentioned in their letter. Tell them you are unhappy with the price rise and wish to leave and they should open a 30 days window during which you may move to another provider. You should press for your line rental saver to be refunded as well. You may have to chase this and complain up the chain of complaints... Mentioning the OFCOM stuff in the above guardian artical might help.

Oh in general as a consumer all contracts have to be fair and reasonable regardless of what the small print or business says. (Though what is fair is debatable and you may need the energy to pursue the matter).

Good luck.

(Incidentally does anyone else find the price rise information page linked above incredible unhelpfully weird? Its as if someone shoved together some bits together randomly and said repeatedly that you price is going down.) 

Established Contributor

I would certainly agree with what you have said. I would add that, according to the guidance on 'material detriment' given by OFCOM, in A1.24:

Terms and/or practices which frustrate the practical effect of GC9.6
are liable to attract suspicion of non-compliance with the relevant rules.

If other words, if EE make it dificult for you to leave because they have increased their prices they are not complying with the rules.

Its also worth noting that EE have produced 2 very similar looking pages quite probably to confuse people, the difference being that the last word is either, increase or decrease:

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/home-broadband/b...

Lee posted in his link the decrease version, bit strange considering the price is rising.

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/home-broadband/b...

Which version of the links above have people been getting, as only one mentions the right to leave, but note its not in the main text but hidden in the FAQ's section.... No coincidence...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ppop: The latter link, the Decrease 1, says "some of our plans have decreased". Note the word "some". If you are 1 of the "some" you get that letter; otherwise you get the Increase 1.

I suspect @Lee_H posted the wrong link out-of-context with the OP, an Increase situation.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@ppop: The latter link, the Decrease 1, says "some of our plans have decreased". Note the word "some". If you are 1 of the "some" you get that letter; otherwise you get the Increase 1.

I suspect @Lee_H posted the wrong link out-of-context with the OP, an Increase situation.

Perhaps Lee would like to correct his mistake to ensure clarity, as the Op's situation involves an increase in his broadband price.

"Do I have the right to leave?

If you are in contract, then you may be liable to pay early termination charges."

The above statement found on the link is just wrong and very misleading. The link is specifically to advice customers EE are increasing your price. You have the right to leave and you will 'not' be liable to early termination charges.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ppop@: wrote:

If you are in contract, then you may be liable to pay early termination charges."

That's out of context. There's a rider to that: "However, if you believe that you will be materially worse off, then you may be able to leave without paying a penalty."

Which is perfectly true.

Established Contributor

The web address uses the word 'increase' and in the FAQ's it says 'Why are prices increasing', I defy anyone to not suffer 'material detriment' if prices are going up!!

Ofcom is likely to treat 'any' increase to the agreed core subscription price during the fixed term of such a contract as a modification that is of, or is likely to be of, material detriment to consumer.

So be it 1p or £1, its material detriment, and you can leave if you choose.

See term 2.15.1.2 in the link below.

http://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/help-pdfs/ee-home-network-terms-241017.pdf

Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@ppop@: wrote:

That's out of context. There's a rider to that: "However, if you believe that you will be materially worse off, then you may be able to leave without paying a penalty."

Which is perfectly true.

Why do they start the sentence saying you 'may' pay cancellation charges. The whole point of the page is about EE putting prices up, there is no 'may' about it, you 'won't' pay cancellation charges, you are leaving because the price is going up. Then they say you 'may' be able to leave, again there is no 'may' about it, you 'will' be allowed to leave, it's your choice.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's all subject to whether you may or may not suffer material detriment.

Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

It's all subject to whether you may or may not suffer material detriment.

If EE are increasing the monthly amount/subscription or whatever you choose to call it in January as per the email you received, you 'will' suffer material detriment, as such you 'can' leave, it's your choice.

EE 'may' or 'may not' follow their terms and conditions and their obligations to follow OFCOM's general conditions and allow you to leave, penalty free, but that's another story...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Not if total %age increase for the year is less than RPI.

Established Contributor

if the change is of material detriment to You, We will send You Written Notice 30 days before the terms
and conditions are due to change. The new terms and conditions will apply to You once that notice has
run out, unless You terminate this Agreement with Us within that notice period. If You do this You won’t
have to pay any Cancellation Charge that would otherwise apply

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Not if total %age increase for the year is less than RPI.

I believe that is just for EE mobile contracts. 

As can be seen from the term above, there is no requirement for the EE price to be above RPI before you can cancel, it just needs to be a rise to give you the option to cancel penalty free.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.