by agjwilson Contributor
Contributor

how do I grant a permission under access control in the router?

I am trying to stop my router blocking a piece of gaming software I am running. The software basically allows other people to connect to my game via the internet.  So far the only way I have found to do this is to 'disable my routers firewall'. However I have noticed that under Firewall header in the routers admin setting there is a sub header called 'Access Control' and part of this reads 

"Access Control allows users to define the traffic type permitted or not-permitted to/from the Internet."

When I take a look at the options and read the help, it seems to single out blocking traffic and creating time zones for parental measures for blocking the internet at certain times. It doesn't really discuss allowing software through the routers firewall though.

All I want to do is define the traffice permitted. The software is running on port 1802. Its a piece of software called Fantasy Grounds, downloaded from Steam. 

I have taken the time to set up port forwarding for this software on port 1802, but this really hasn't done much to help this situation.

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: how do I grant a permission under access control in the router?

@agjwilson: Yes, Access Control is only for controlling the traffic of users on the router's LAN, not for controlling it for incoming users from the Net.

Go to Shields UP! and use User-Specified Custom Port Probe to probe port 1802. What state does it say it has?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by agjwilson Contributor
Contributor

I used canyouseeme.org and http://canyouseeme.org

Error: I could not see your service on XX.XXX.XX.XXX on port (1802)
Reason: Connection timed out

I used ShieldsUp (port 1802)

Solicited TCP Packets: PASSED

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED )

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED)

So you're saying to allow traffic to reach my computer I need to disable my whole routers firewall if Port Forwarding is not working correctly? Seems a bit unsafe. Especially once I have posted online what I am trying to do.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Just what did ShieldsUp! say was the status of port 1802? It's this bit I'm interested not the other warnings.

Port
Status
Protocol and Application

Stealth
concomp1
ConComp1

I'm not suggesting that all.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by agjwilson Contributor
Contributor

comp.jpg

This was my result

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then you game server is not up & running.

by agjwilson Contributor
Contributor

Here is what ShieldsUp displays when my game is running and the routers firewall is disabled.

comp2.jpg

Here is what ShieldsUp displays when my game is running and the routers firewall is enabled.

comp3.jpg

And here is what my routers port forwarding looks like as I set it up for the game to accept incoming traffic through 1802. (minus the pixelation)

comp4.jpg

by Grand Master
Grand Master

So in what circumstances was it "Stealth" that you said it was before?

What individual things within the Firewall have you got enabled in the case when it shows "Closed"? "Closed" rather than "Stealth" shows that Port Forwarding is doing something, just not the right something.

by agjwilson Contributor
Contributor

It was in stealth when the routers firewall was down but the game was not running.

I haven't got any individual assignments set through the routers firewall. Currently only experimenting with "enabled and disabled".

The original post was regarding what I could do to achieve the firewall to disable only for this game servers instance. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you reserved the IP of the game server in the DHCP?

by agjwilson Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I reserved my PCs IP and that is the same IP that my game server is hosting from.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @agjwilson

I'm sure when @XRaySpeX is online, he will try and help you further.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.