by aaronbennett1
Explorer

getting Philips hue to work with Bright Box 2

I'm trying to set up the popular Philips Hue system with my new Bright Box 2 router but when I plug the Hue Bridge into the router it's not getting a connection.

I tried to call customer services and they told me that the Bright Box 2 doesn't support third party devices, but online I've read the router is pretty sophisticated.

I've found an article online that says the router needs to support NUPNP to allow the bridge to connect to the network, can anyone advise if I'm able to set this up?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
by Captgeneralmark Contributor
Contributor

Re: getting Philips hue to work with Bright Box 2

I also use Philips Hue lights and had no problem setting it up with my Bright Box 2. It was simply a case of running an ethernet cable between the two and then using the app to create an account and log on. The only thing I can think of is that the cable you're using is a bit duff. I’d suggest trying another one if you can. 

And frankly, the advice you were given about not supporting third party devices is total tosh, since everything you connect to the router is going to be a third party device.

The Philips Hue bridge is no different to any other connected device beit a PC, set-top box, Amazon Echo or smart fridge.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you may enable UPnP in the router under Advanced / UPnP.

As said earlier all routers connect to 3rd-party devices all their life. CS were talking BS!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @aaronbennett1,

Welcome to the EE Community.

That's two great suggestions from @Captgeneralmark and @XRaySpeX.

Let us know if either help you get set up.

Thanks

James

by aaronbennett1
Explorer

Thanks everyone!!

Still not getting it to work after trying the above suggestions sadly.

Have turned on UPnp on the router and restarted it, but the network light on the bridge is not illuminating, also tried resetting the bridge and nothing.

And have tried three different ethernet cables, but still no joy.

Just to check, it is one of the yellow ethernet sockets I'm plugging it into isnt it?  Have tried all four but nothing.

Shame as I had it working on another router at my previous addresss and it was flawless.

May have to speak to Philips.

Thanks again

Aaron

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, the yellow sockets are for LAN Ethernet.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Captgeneralmark Contributor
Contributor

@aaronbennett1 You say you tried 3 different ethernet cables, but did they have all 8 wires wired up? Many cut-price cables only use 4 wires (the minimum as per spec). Some devices are quite fussy about the cables. Also (and not knowing the spec of your cables) if you can try a Cat-5E or Cat-6 cable. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.