by Barrowman Investigator
Investigator

fluctuating broadband speeds

I am considering changing from Plusnet to EE for my fibre broadband because the speed I get often drops below 1/2 Mb/sec and EE promise a minimum of 12 Mb/sec for the 34Mb package. I have called Plusnet on many occasions but still no better.

Well I came across this:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Archive/Fibre-broadband-speed-fluctuations-and-service-hanging/m-p/162...

and am wondering if this is the same problem. I am actually on holiday in a rental property on a farm in yorkshire at the moment and am sharing their wifi. Guess what they have the same problem!!! Now I am using a different laptop than the one I used at home but they are with BT here ( I know Plusnet is part of BT ). I think I will see the farmer and see if we can do this for him and see if it improves his speed. I will let you know how it goes. Then when I get home I will try it there.

9 REPLIES 9
by
EE Employee

Re: fluctuating broadband speeds

Hi @Barrowman

Definitely pop back and let us know how it goes!

Thanks. Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Moving from PN to EE is unlikely to change the speed & characteristics of your line. Both ISPs use exactly the same BB connections.

If you would like help with your speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the steps and provide the data as requested in the Broadband Speed Problem? sticky. This will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Yes I appreciate that but EE guaranttee 12 Mbs in the advert for the offer. 400Kbs is way down on that and is what I often get from PN.

I am only about 100 metres from the cabinet so I can see no logical reason why I should get such rediculously low speeds and this is around 50% of the time. I am a pensioner and find this happens whatever time of day it is.

So to me they are not providing me with the service they have contracted with me.

If it was at peak times such as when office people start work or early evening when people might all start logging on then I can at least appreciate that it might be difficult to manage it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, one's an actuality the other's just a promise. And a promise of what exactly?

Are you comparing like with like? EE will only "guarantee" the connection (sync) speed of the router, as will any other ISP. Is that where you got your 400Kb/s from? Or is it a speedtest done over WiFi? Nobody's gonna "guarantee" speeds in your own home over your LAN, esp. WiFi speeds.

Give me the data I requested & I might be able to see why you are getting these slow speeds.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I am sorry but please do not think  I am trying to pick an argument with you.

The speed I am talking about is with my laptop connected via ethernet and downloading an iso file of about 1,7 GB. So I guess that is showing what the isp delivers to the router. It's the second router they have provided as the first one failed on the wifi.

I took several screenshots of the progress but they are on my other laptop which is at home. I could no doubt do a short video to demonstrate what's happening. I can download a Linux Mint iso and get the problem, I get horrendous buffering on videos from iplayer, 4od etc. so it's not a limitation of a particular server as far as I can see. Also via wifi I can transfer a large file from one of my computers to the other at around 17 Mbs. Even to one of my raspberry pi's I can do better than what I get externally.

I will do a test directly from the internal socket on the master when I get home and see what happens

PN had been to the cabinet after testing and saying there was a fault. It improved for 2 days and then I saw the Openreach  guy working there again and my trouble started again.

Not much I can do here as I am 50 miles from home and wont be back there until next week.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't, honestly!

I was just trying to help you. It does not matter to me what ISP you are on. I am able to assess BB on any connection & router. I'm not exclusive to EE :). All I need is that data.

Investigator

@karen-C and XRaySpeX

Okay I am back home. I decided I would try changing the DNS servers first as this was the least disruptive.

I logged on to my Plusnet router but although I can see the addresses for the DNS servers I cannot change them..

So as I had already changed the range of the DHCP server to leave a range of ip addresses I could set manually I changed my laptop to manual rather then DHCP assigned address and put 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers.

Now downloading the same file gives a minimum of 3.8 MB/s but most of the time between 4.3 and 4.4 MB/s and no buffering detected at all when watching a video via wifi. It was like this last night and a few minutes ago.

I will check it a few more times over the next few days because it may be just a chance inprovement. Or of course it could be that Openreach have actually fixed the problem.

I will let you know later in the week.

Thanks for your help so far.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Barrowman,

If you could post up the details XRaySpeX asked for he might be able to help you find a solution to your fluctuating speeds.

Thanks

James

Investigator

Well I have teted the download speeds at least 20 times since I changed the DNS servers and there was once a period of less than 10 seconds where the speed dropped to zero. Other than that the minimum I have observed has been 2.8MB/s and generally between 3.8 and 4.2 MB/s so between 30 and 34 Mb/s which is what Plusnet originally said I should be getting. So I guess for now at least my problem is resolved.

I did check it with the original setup before I did the changes and it was still poor. I can see no logical reason why  a change of DNS server should change the throughput as my understanding is that DNS servers only resolve the IP address of the machine you wish to connect to.

Thanks again for all the help.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.