by anaisk Investigator
Investigator

enable to connect my printer

I switched to EE a few months ago, and I'm not able to connect my printer through wifi.

It's a Brother HL-1212W, without any screen.

When I try to connect, it prints an error message, saying that I must select a 2.4 GHz SSID/ESSID. How can I do it with my Bright box (I don't know its number but it's a small dark grey one).

Cheers.

Anaïs.

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: enable to connect my printer

Does the printer have a WPS button? See Bright Box router - connect using WiFi protected setup (WPS)

Does the printer show list of WiFi networks it can see? Select the router's SSID & supply its WiFi pwd (to be found on its label) to it. I believe this has to be done on a PC in the printer s/ware installed from the CD with the printer temporarily connected by USB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by anaisk Investigator
Investigator

of course the printer has a wps button, and of course I've already tried to use it.

there is no list of wifi networks: that's why I wrote "no screen".

could you reply my question, about the SSID/ESSID 2.5 GHz thing??

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@anaisk wrote:

there is no list of wifi networks: that's why I wrote "no screen".

That's why I wrote you may need to do it on the PC using the supplied s/ware. Obviously I don't know your printer.

Look on the the label on the router for "Wireless network name". That's the SSID. If there are 2 don't use the 1 starting "5GHz-".

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by anaisk Investigator
Investigator

ok, I'll change my question then:

how may I know if my router is using a 2.5 GHz frequency?

I don't need advice about connecting the printer, because I don't have any PC, I work on computers and have "only" mac and linux laptops. I just want to understand whether the issue comes from compatibility before trying to find a windows PC.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@anaisk: All wireless routers do have 2.4 GHz (it's not 2.5) WiFi.

They're all personal computers, aren't they? I never mentioned Windows.

Are you here for advice on something you don't know about or what? On any forum when you ask a Q you'll get the answer the responder wants to give whether you already know it or not as he won't know what you know.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.