cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

degraded service after cancelling my contract

Casbury67
Investigator
Investigator
Read more
From the day that EE received my cancellation request I have been having issues from no internet, failed DNS, EE TV box freezing and EE TV box being so slow it takes over ten minutes to change the channel.

These issues did not happen until the cancellation request so this is a new issue.

It seems to me that I am being punished for leaving there service which to me is very poor practice, and in breach of my consumer rights as a paying customer.

I have been a broadband, TV customer for 3 years this time round and was only changing due to getting a much better deal elsewhere, I have been an EE / Orange mobile customer since the start of Orange over 25 years ago (As a former network engineer, I build a large part of your network) which after this treatment may change my mind in staying much longer.

My partner is with another provider currently and is due an upgrade soon which up until now was going to put her on EE with me.

Can someone answer me why this is happening and if this behavior is going to continue until my cancellation date.  
15 REPLIES 15
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Casbury67   Cancelling your contracts does not have a impact on your services. 

Yes i'm well aware of that, so your saying that my disconnects, DNS issues and TV box issues are all a strange coincidence then ?  

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Casbury67 : EE wouldn't degrade your BB just because you cancelled. However you may have gone about cancelling the wrong way which could cause you problems.

Did you contact EE directly to cancel? You should not have but gone to the new ISP for their BB  They would take care of everything including giving your notice to EE. Now EE may think you are getting rid of the line completely and may indeed be in the process of deactivating it. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi there, 

I did go to another provider and not to EE, but have had numerous calls from some call center asking to see if they can get me a better deal which were well aware of the pending cancellation, I had no service issues unit the day after signing with my new provider. 

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

OK, so let's try and see what is going on with your line. 

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Casbury67

Thanks for coming to the community.

I am sorry to hear you are leaving us.

If you can answer @XRaySpeX questions we will see what we can do to help 🙂

Speak soon.

Leanne.

Hi Thanks for your response, 

Unfortunately the bright box gave up on me ages ago so have been using a Netgear without any issues until my request to change to another provider,

Before the order was placed i was getting download speeds at 38mb and upload speed of 10mb. As soon as the order went in my speed dropped to no more than 12mb download and 6mb upload.

I maybe wrong but that is a dramatic drop in performance. 

As well as that I get constant DNS errors, Example is to change a setting on my Alexa I have to disconnect from the wifi on my phone and then connect to it via the mobile network into the house via the internet to my network.

Other websites will not load ether while on my broadband connection but load perfectly via my mobile data on the same device. 

I have none of the above issues until the provider change was requested, call me paranoid but this is a very strange coincidence to me.

Im not a green horn with networks as said in my original post.

I have check the sites requested for network issues which report clear.

The connection stats from my current router are below as requested,

Link Downstream Upstream
Speed 40000 kbps 9999 kbps
Line Attenuation D0( 10.1) D1( 23.0) D2( 36.3) dB U0( 5.8) U1( 20.1) U2( 29.5) U3(N/A) U4(N/A) dB
Noise Margin D0( 14.4) D1( 14.4) D2( 14.5) dB U0( 26.7) U1( 22.6) U2( 22.7) U3(N/A) U4(N/A) dB   

Thanks, that's the router stats which shows you have a full speed connection for EE Fibre. Now for the speedtest?.

Yes and as i said in my last message the speed test is 12 down and 6 up, currently as we talk now i'm unable to resolve DNS issues to connect as per screen shot, infact the only site i can currently connect to is this onespeed testspeed test