by dave188 Contributor
Contributor

brightbox1r and USB permissions

I'm having problems with my Brightbox1R router and the USB drive attached to it.

Rather, it appears to be a permissions issue. I need to have access to the USB drive from two laptops (both Win10Pro) to read and subsequently write back various files.

It seems, for some reason, that the USB drive requires permissions to write - despite the fact this same laptop initially wrote the file to the USB drive!

Looking at the permissions on one file I'm trying to save back shows only Read & Execute and Read permissions on the USB drive.

There are two other usernames listed, S-1-22-1-0 and S-1-22-2-0. Yesterday, it was the first of these users that permissions to write were being requested from, this user having Full control permissions set.

It seems I am unable to set/change permissions for the Everyone (i.e. me) user.

No shares have been set other than Auto Share - and nothing has been changed since the files were originally written yesterday (following a re-format of the USB stick on the laptop).

The USB drive (on the router) has been set as "S:" drive on the laptop. I have different passwords to access each of the two laptops (same username) so, should I need to add users to the router page, then I may have a problem here. Incidentally, I did (temorarily) add myself as a user and still I failed to be able to write a file.

What is going on? What do I need to do to be able to now write to the USB drive?

15 REPLIES 15
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: brightbox1r and USB permissions

Hi @dave188

Thanks for stopping by the community and it's great to have you as a member 🙂

So, I have managed to have a little look around and I have came across our Bright Box Router - Set up USB File Sharing help and support pages for you.

I hope you get exactly what you need from here.

Thanks

Richard

🙂 

by dave188 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Richard for the pointer.......however.

I followed the instructions through and, yes, as it says at step 13, "The files and folders on your drive will be visible", Yes they are visible (always were)......but

I still cannot overwrite a file sitting there. Neither can I write the file to the root of the USB stick. It still says I need permission so to do. Currently showing No available users on the Advanced screen.

I tried the obvious, such as these instructions, yesterday. I've also tried adding a user in the Advanced section - under User account and still I cannot write to the USB stick.

I understand the ideas of permissions (I've worked in computers for years) but how to change the permissions on a box I cannot touch or refuses to change the permissions is beyond me. Microsoft, I understand, but (I understand this is a Unix box) I do not have a clue and there appears to be nothing obvious on the router screens that effects any change for me.

The device is listed, formatted FAT32 and (on the router) shows its size and free space correctly. I can see the files via the Windows Explorer window but can I write? Not a chance.

I've since added a user under User account with read & write permissions and in the USB device shared it to myself and it now shows up in the NAS Shared List and I still cannot overwrite a file or write to the root.

I closed down Win Explorer and re-opened it - now I can't even see, let alone access the USB stick (I can see the router on the network but not the USB stick). In a DOS window, trying a 'dir' command for \\brightbox1r\backup1 (the USB name) I get 'Network path not found'.

So much for trying to go beyond the basic instructions, as advised.

Deleted the NAS share and the User account - still no access to the USB stick. Do a "net use" command in the DOS window and I can now see the USB stick and its files - but still no write access. All I ever get is Access is denied.

This is just being downright silly! 😞

Much more and I'll resort to having to carry the USB stick around with me with the risk of it getting misplaced. Which is not what I'm after.

by
EE Community Support Team

I can totally appreciate how you feel @dave188

Have you by any chance spoken to our technical team by any chance?

Richard

🙂

by dave188 Contributor
Contributor

I've not had the opportunity to call the tech team as yet.

I was hoping some forumite might have had these same problems and could point me quicker in the general direction of what I ought to be looking at rather than sit for hours on the phone trying to explain what I'm seeing and what I'm not able to do.

If there's nothing forthcoming in a few days or so, and if I can find a couple of hours spare (some hope) maybe I'll give them a call.

In the meantime, I'll sit back, maybe try a few things right from square one and see how I get on.

Cheers.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I've just stuck a USB stick in my Brightbox 2 & could write files to it immediately; no login required.

Looking thro' File Explorer from a Win 10 PC, the files have 3 usernames, S-1-22-1-0, S-1-22-2-0 and Everyone, associated with them. The 1st, presumably me logged into the PC, has Full Control, the others only Read & Execute and Read.

Looking at the Brightbox under USB File Sharing , I have no User Accounts configured.

My Brightbox does not show the section:

7.In the Security Control field, select Enable
8.Enter a Username and Password - you can leave these as default (i.e. user and password) or enter your own details

given in that article you were referred to. Does yours? Perhaps disable it? Nor do I have the File Permissions box.

Ideas:

1. Disable Security Control.
  2. Make the Workgroup the same as that of your PCs.
  3. Access the USB drive thro' Network rather than the S drive, tho' I can't see it making any diff.
  4. Do your PCs have Network Discovery & File Sharing on?

In view of the potential differences in functionality of our Brightboxes' USB File Sharing , what are your System versions & dates? Mine are:

Runtime Code Version v0.03.05.00002-OT (Thu Jan 14 10:54:25 2016) 
Boot Code Version 0.0.9-OT (Thu Aug 8 18:14:37 2013) 
DSL Modem Code Version A2pv6F039c.d24j-AnnexA 
Hardware Version 01 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I did the same from another non-admin user. It wrote files OK & they had the exact same usernames & permissions.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by dave188 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks XRaySpeX for your comments. I got the same usernames as yours but for some reason the 'everyone' account started to be used (hence no write allowed and permission required from S-1-22-1-0). Here's where I may have hit a problem as, no doubt, the S-1-22-1-0 user will have different credentials if access is used from another laptop (same username to logon but a different password - maybe THAT is the issue here). That's another avenue to look at in the days to come.

I tried a freshly formatted USB yesterday and still had the permissions problem without having had any access to the router from another machine, so differing passwords on different machines wasn't the problem yesterday. Anyway....

I've decided (once again) to start from square one with a freshly formatted USB drive (on Win10 laptop).
Runtime and Boot codes date back to 2015 (no recent changes there); Modem code is A2pG039o1.d24m (no idea!)

Laptop Network Discovery is set to ON (not changed).

Freshly formatted (FAT32), empty USB drive (4GB) inserted into the Router. USB stick recognised on the router.

Turn on Auto Share - Workgroup name same as the laptop's - WORKGROUP. Can't see the USB drive in Win Explorer - although I can see the router itself under Network Infrastructure but not in the file/folders side under Network. Close and restart Win Explorer - no change, no Router/USB visible. Incidentally, SAMBA needs to be turned on for a DOS/CMD box to see the router.

Wait 5 minutes, after re-turning ON SAMBA (no mention of SAMBA in the Helpfile BASIC, but says needing to be turned on in the Helpfile ADVANCED section) and the USB now appears in Win Explorer. Been there, done that before with both SAMBA and Auto Share turned on but with the problems I've been seeing and hence my question on the forum.

Copy a few files across using Network (not mapped). Also tried this method before. No User Account setup and Security Control disabled. This is just how it was before things started going pear-shaped with permissions errors.

Looks good at this time when overwriting a file with a newer version. Further files written to the root without problem.

Very strange. It was working originally, then it wasn't (hence the original question here), then it is again.

Is there anything different between writing files using the Network rather than mapping to S: and writing via drive mapping? Can't somehow see it as an issue. Is it likely that Microsoft changed anything in one of their updates (doubtful as changes to security would probably affect millions of users).

At this time, it remains a mystery as to what happened. I'll monitor it and add any further info if it re-occurs.
Overnight - a fresh boot onto the laptop, update a Word file on the laptop, copy (via Network) onto USB drive - not a chance: permissions required. Here we ago again!

Nothing changed other than a reboot of the laptop and an update made to a file currently on the laptop and wanting to back it up to the router/USB.

Check other files on the USB. Images I can open. An Excel spreadsheet I can open - but Read Only. Open the Word document I'd like to backup over, won't even open. Says I need to check the pathname. Eh??? It's there, staring at me! Other Word documents in the same folder do open, but Read Only. It must come back down to I've gone back in as the Everyone user this morning with only Read/Execute permissions - or in the case of this one Word file - "get lost" permissions!!!!

Yesterday I could write files across and even update the files on the USB.

Is it the router - or my Windows 10 Pro? On the laptop, I'm logged in as an Administrator. And nothing changed since I powered the laptop off last night and back on again this morning.

Beats me! Stuff the router and it's USB 😞 I'll just go back to pen and paper - the biro rarely lets me down!

by
EE Employee

Hi @dave188 and welcome to the Community.

Let us know if you get a resolution to the issue.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I did the same as I did before from another PC (laptop). It wrote files OK & they had the exact same usernames & permissions. Exactly the same as my 1st PC (desktop). Nor did anything change after an overnight reboot.

I don't have a diff Brightbox interface from that help article, & you, as I 1st thought. I was looking at the Advanced tab & it at the Basic tab.

@dave188 wrote:

for some reason the 'everyone' account started to be used

What do you mean by this? How used? To me they are just user permissions assigned to files on the USB.

How do you turn on SAMBA in a DOS/CMD box? I have SAMBA enabled on the Brightbox but am not aware of it in DOS.

by dave188 Contributor
Contributor

Using the (router) "Everyone" account is the only way I could describe why I'm not longer able to write to the USB stick - the same permissions must be set on the laptop and the files on there. Today I can't even write NEW files from the laptop to the USB - says I need permission to write - and that's a straight forward, simple request....here's a file, now write it like you allowed yesterday.

I've checked the specific file properties: on laptop, it has for administrators (i.e. me) and System, Full control, Authenticated users, read/write/modify but for Users only Read/Execute. Now....if I'm an administrator account why might the 'user's' permissions be copied across - if that's what is happening. But again, it doesn't explain why, yesterday, I could freely write to the USB and today I can't, not anywhere on the USB.

As you say, it's the user permissions assigned to the file that "ought" to be being used.  I just tried to copy a jpg file (not changed in any shape or form from when I copied it across yesterday - it required permission to copy after asking whether I wanted to replace the file). And the reason behind only opening files in Read Only mode?? It's all tied up with the router now using the Everyone account (with only Read/Execute permissions) - and where this comes from, or why, I have no idea.

It's the USB/router that is giving the permissions issue, mostly because I can't write to any of the USB drive. If I can get it to allow me to do a write of any sort, anywhere then I might be half way to sorting the problem. But it's the "why" I don't get.

And no, I wasn't turning on SAMBA from a CMD prompt (my grubby wording, sorry) - that can only be done from within the router/Advanced settings. I was just 'playing' around with a CMD prompt to see if that got me anywhere, i.e. outside of Win Explorer, whether the drive could be seen, whether I could see any files or write to it, etc.

The plot doesn't get any easier to understand.

As another possible way forward, I've added the router's admin account to the list of users (Read/Write) and also to the NAS shared list and now the Everyone account has full access when looking at the root. And yet I still can't write, not even to the root, and it hasn't changed the 'file' properties elsewhere for the Everyone user.

Adding my Username/password in the Security Control box (Basic page) made no difference - no write. Adding the router's admin account pops up a Windows Security box to enter credentials, Access denied, and won't let me in to the USB at all. Oh come on! Disable that one quick as you like! Now I can see the drive again. Nothing has changed, no write anywhere.

Added me into the User List - nowt changes. Hit it with a hammer - still no changes (I JOKE!!!). But this is beyond a joke.

Apologies if this is a bit rambling, but I'm trying to keep tabs (and passing the info on) on what I'm trying and where it gets me (or not, as seems to be the case).

by
EE Employee

Hi @dave188

Thank you for your input on this and I'm sure you and @XRaySpeX will be able to get to the bottom of this.

Many thanks,

Lee

by dave188 Contributor
Contributor

OK. I think I may have got around the problem - but what changed and when I have no idea. Anyway....

I freshly formatted the USB stick on the laptop and gave permissions for Everyone of Full Control. Then I gave the (laptop) folder and all subsequent folders and files within it the same Everyone pemissions. The USB stick was then put back into the Router and then enabled Auto Share on the Basic tab (file permissions left at the default Read/Write). No additional settings changed anywhere. Then these needed folders/files were copied over to the Router. A test write was made without problem. Test not totally complete as I wanted to see what happened the next day after a shutdown and restart of the laptop.

Next day, new laptop start. A new file was copied over without problem.

One updated file copied over, again without problem.

Hopefully, this belt n braces changes to permissions and stuff the consequences of it, has finally given me a cure. I've probably gone way over the top but there's nothing of any security/privacy issue with these files. All I need now is to try it out from another PC and see what happens from there (but it's buried somewhere and access to it is not possible at this time) - and then on this laptop afterwards.

I'm still baffled as to what caused the problem initially when there had been no changes to logins on the laptop or changes to permissions on the folder/files prior to the problem showing up.

If there's any other issues as a result of USB access from the other PC (when I can get to it) then I'll post back.

Thanks to all for help and suggestions.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Glad you got it working. I've never had to assign any special permissions to my USB stick or files on my PC to have it work.

by dave188 Contributor
Contributor

And that's what I find totally bizarre about my problem.

It's fix, but not a satisfactory one in my mind.

by
EE Employee

Glad you got there in the end @dave188

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.