by kindaweirdm8 Contributor
Contributor

bad speed and reliability

For the past few weeks, the connection speed has been going through terrible phases of being unbearable, everything buffers on multiple devices around the house with a ping from around 200-600ms, it's been happening every day now for the past week at least. I've had issues in the past as well, around a year or so but it's been fine ever since that issue was resolved up until now. 

15 REPLIES 15
Contributor

Re: bad speed and reliability

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Barnsley_1988 Investigator
Investigator

@kindaweirdm8 Hello and Good Evening, Welcome to the EE Community. 

Regarding your internet speed and reliability, There are certain times of the day and at weekends when the Networks become really slow, this is because the networks have to respond to the amount of people that are on Wifi again this is dependent on the time of day. I noticed this a couple of weeks ago with my ISP but this was because of the time of the day. Furthermore the internet speeds are and can be affected by the weather as well. ISP's tend to use BT's infrastructre these days. For example if you have fibre broadband then the fibre doesn't really get affected by the rain but if you have broadband and it is fed to your house via copper then there may be water in the cable covers in where the cables are situated this is because the water can get through the gaps on the top of the cover. If this isn't the case then you could if you know the password of your admin settings go into your router and change the channel configuration, if that doesn't work you could possibly try resetting the router. Hope this makes sense and hope this helps 

Contributor

Ok! Thanks a lot for the useful information, I'll have a look at changing the channel configuration next time it acts up and will comment here on the result.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Messing about with the WiFi won't help the abysmal sync speed of 8 Meg when it should be doing nearly 80 Meg (or 40 Meg if you are just on EE standard Fibre).

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

address checker

https://imgur.com/a/5XthuXJ 

current speed 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1571169991807905355 

the ping was usually around 40 before the issue, now it's staying around 80-150 some times 400. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What are the full router stats to go with that speed test? Router stats are key every time! Your issue is with the slow sync speeds. Speedtests only follow that but slightly slower

Contributor

Sorry I'm confused, what exactly do you want me to post? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The thing you posted as "DSL" in your OP.

Contributor

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks. That's a vast improvement on before but nowhere near what it should be doing.

Are your speedtests done wired or wireless? They are on the slow side but you can't expect ideal speeds over WiFi.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

Contributor

It's wired through a WiFi extender although, it's like this for all devices around the house and had no issues with extender beforehand. I've plugged it into the 'hidden test socket' no improvement really, as it keeps switching from a stable 30-50 to this https://imgur.com/a/aBDpjar     

I believe there is another socket but it has been disconnected completely and there are no wires attached to the faceplate. 

speed test https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1571240327793299855 

dsl https://imgur.com/a/a6TxTKC 

uptime ? https://imgur.com/a/a6TxTKC 

Even though the speeds are slightly off, I'm not too bothered about that honestly, I just want my ping to be low and stable like it was :). But if both issues can be fixed that'd be greatly appreciated. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your speeds are far more than slightly off,

The DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, at the top of the up to 18 Meg band of these VDSL Banded Profiles, altho' you now have no significant errors. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10 days you should ask EE to investigate the underlying fault. If a fault is found and fixed then the OR engineer may request a DLM reset. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

Contributor

Okay thanks for the help, great community service! I'll observe how it is for a couple weeks and will inform you on the results. Hopefully the banded profile helps out if not i'll ask ee to investigate it.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.