by Matthadfield14 Investigator
Investigator

Will hardwiring my brightbox extender directly to the router fix my 50% packet ?

So I’ve got a router that gives me 7.7mbps with a packet loss of 1.1% when I’m in my room(top of the house, router in bottom floor so a fair distance) and an extender just outside my room giving me30mbps but with a packet loss of 50% . They are connected wirelessly. Do I need to run a cable and connect them directly through Ethernet to get rid of the packet loss? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Will hardwiring my brightbox extender directly to the router fix my 50% pack

Hi @Matthadfield14 

Use power line adapters as they are much better for extended length than cable, that is if your wiring is ok. They are also better than WiFi for data intensive equipment such as games consoles, pc , smart TVs.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Will hardwiring my brightbox extender directly to the router fix my 50% pack

Hi @Matthadfield14 

Use power line adapters as they are much better for extended length than cable, that is if your wiring is ok. They are also better than WiFi for data intensive equipment such as games consoles, pc , smart TVs.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

Thank you for your reply, I was thinking about using plas but wasnt sure it would work being as the router isnt on the same ring main, 

Investigator

So I've been busy today, I've got a ee brightbox 2 router and the extender is a netgear extender ( pops up as ext on the end of my ee name on the wifi list) and I've bought 2 tp-link plas and linked up the main router to the booster. It created a big problem. (Couldnt connect to wifi etc etc) where am I going wrong?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.