by Sharm Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Will EE charge me for an engineer to come to my house?

Yeah so, been an EE customer for donkeys years, moved from fibre to fibre +

Long story short, I work as a network/infrastructre engineer, I know my stuff, but clearly BT/EE don't they are telling me if's and this and that, none of them can get their story straight.

Now I KNOW my setup is correct, I've just a brand new BB2 from EE, switched my old one out, now previous to this the day I switched from Fibre to + my downstream rate decreased by 5mb, so I was on 27.5mb/s dsr before even switching my router out, on the 30th I dropped from that to 22mb/s downrate, my up however has increased from the 10mb/s to 17/s.

Now I asked if I was banded on a profile first time, clueless, I asked a 2nd time on the 10th, they said I might be, I asked today, they said I wasn't...get it straight man?

Now last tuesday one of the EE contracted engineers came to my house, checked my setup, said everything was good, made him sign a paper and videoed that my set up is correct, you know because I actually have been CHARGED before for exactly the same thing, being told that there is no fault in my house it lies outside but still getting CHARGED

So, did some research and within BT's call out charge small text, it says that if no fault is found within my own premisis that I will be charged...but that doesn't make sense because if you're saying that there is no fault in my property, no fault on the line, the hell is my speed gone then? What the magic leprecaun comes into my house and caps my speed to poverty line internet speeds?

In any case I've been telling them over and over these people are thick as thieves running from the met police.

My router stats here.

INTERNET Broadband Type Fibre Broadband State Connected Internet State Connected Time Connected 24:10:32 Downstream Rate 22.40 Mbps Upstream Rate 16.49 Mbps

DSL STATUS This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 16486 (Kbps) Downstream 22398 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.1 (dB) 13.0 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.2 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 7.4 (dBm) 11.9 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 216062327 1864 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 0 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 0 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 2940 270
STATISTICS Received Data 10731475 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 3931789 (Kbits)

Just look at all those error seconds man, isn't that sweet, god **bleep** don't you love it when these people say they have fixed the issue but you still get stupid amount of error seconds 0_-

So yeah, someone tell me, the scenerios that this can lie in, because I really don't want to take EE/BT to the small claims court to recover any fees that they may charge me saying "yeah you've got crappy speeds but nothing is wrong in your house so we will charge you"

It's dumb af man.

Engineer coming out on friday, I will be recording CCTV, recording with my phone and make this guy sign a verbal and paper contract, just to save my arse in court because I know dirty BT will lie.

20 REPLIES 20
Valued Contributor

Re: Will EE charge me for an engineer to come to my house?

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low         VDSL Range A (Clean) 75.2 56.6 20 18.9 50.1 Available -- Yes Yes -- VDSL Range B (Impacted) 60 32.4 20 9.9 25 Available -- Yes Yes --

My speedtest.net - http://www.speedtest.net/result/5975883549.png

My first BT wholesale run - http://imgur.com/Z70cu6Y

My Further BT wholesale run - http://imgur.com/5haHJ3l

So basically, this is what I have been told in simple terms...

EE Staff - If there is nothing wrong with your set up you will not be charged BT Engineer - I couldnt find a fault with your set up so you will be charged

Can someone disprove me on that?

Quote from BT "

• If there is no fault.

I was also told that EE would call me or let me know if BT have don'e their work at the cabinet/exchange, I was never informed, I had to call up myself to check...only reason why I am with EE using BT lines is because virgin aren't in my area yet, first thing I am doing when they get here is moving straight there, it's just taking the pee now man.

Can someone just clarify if I will be charged if BT don't find a fault in my house and can't find a fault in their line, then what will they do about it because I know my downrate stream pre going onto fibre + was 27.5, it was actually 35mb pre dlm stablising, then gradually went lower, most likely due to a faulty line...sort it out.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As a matter of interest, before I consider the technical side of your issue tomorrow, why, if you were getting only 27 Meg on ordinary fibre, did you bother to switch just to have the non-biting 40 Meg cap removed?

Do you get the same reduced speed if you put the old router back in? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Like I said, I work in networking so I know more than the average consumer, my contract was running out so I complained over the phone, got fibre + for less than I'm paying for fibre, I'm 700m from the cabinet so I still expect better speed nearing to 40mb.

on the router case, my downstream rate dropped pre switching to the new router, so the router isn't the the issue

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Sharm

I'm sure @XRaySpeX will be along soon to try and help you further.

Thanks for posting in community.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Sharm wrote:

Just look at all those error seconds man, isn't that sweet

Not particularly remarkable there as it's only been up for 24 hours. Let it run longer & the rate should come down. Expect no more than 1 ES per min. on Fast Path. It's the FEC Corrections that might be more concerning.

Are you running from the hidden test socket?

Please reboot the router to zeroise all error counts & let it run for 2-3 days & then repost full router stats.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

The router did have over 10k error seconds in the period before that which was an interval of 3 days, only due to the fact that it totally disconnected from the net to which I couldnt even get onto the log in page that I had to hard restart, I know my line is capable of at least 38mb becasue that was what I was getting 18 months ago, obviously dlm locked me down to 35 and since then it was degrading ever since, first went to 33, then to 30 then to 27.5, then as soon as I switched to fibre + the minute it switched I went down to 22.5mb/s, like I said without even me moving any infrastructure.

In all seriousness though, I am just wondering about the charge that I may face, it's not good news to hear that ofcom have just only today fined EE £2.7m for incorrect charges...like I said, 1 engineer has already come down and looked at my house, said everything in my private land is fine, BT have then done their tests and said they went to the exchange and fixed anything that was wrong but I got no confirmation of that? So do I just trust some random dude telling me that they have done so?

I know I sound a little mugged off and I am, just the fact that no one actually knows what they are doing, whether it's my fault, bts fault or EEs fault...engineer is coming on friday, what are the outcomes, because no one has told me any sort of idea of what will happen, for example

1 - No fault is found on my land, outcome = ?

2 - No fault is found on my land and no fault is found on the line, outcome = ?

3 - Fault is found on my land, fault is found on line, outcome = ?

4 - Fault is not found on my land but fault is found on the line, outcome = ?

And in all 4 of those outcomes would I recieve a call out charge, that's what I really want to know because the last time I dealt with this situation, they said everything is fine, mugged me off and I had bad speeds until I upgraded to fibre.

Long story short, I know my line is capable of 40mb because I've already had that speed priorer to upgrading to fibre+, why am I on 22mb.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

But what speed did EE promise you when you ordered the upgrade to Fibre Plus?

Valued Contributor

55mb/s is what they say, every single time I call them, I was also told that I am receiving under 50% of what my speed should be, 55-72, like I don't expect anywhere near 72 but I also don't expect my line to drop by 5mb downstream rate from them just flipping me to fibre+ , weird right lol

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then you shouldn't be charged for an eng. as you are getting well under 50% EE's sign-up estimate. Indeed they should be pulling out all the stops to investigating why you are not now getting 55 Meg on Fibre Plus & were not getting 40 Meg before on ordinary Fibre.

If you login to your Member's Centre at https://web.orange.co.uk/r/login/ and look at Your broadband speed what does it say "We estimate your access line speed is"?

Valued Contributor

Estimated Fibre Download Speed is 54.3 Mb/Sec

Estimated Fibre Upload Speed is 16.8 Mb/Sec

Minimum Fibre Download Speed is 30.0 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Download Speed is 71.8 Mb/Sec

Minimum Fibre Upload Speed is 8.5 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Upload Speed is 20.0 Mb/Sec

Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed is 20.88 Mb/Sec

So if you can just verify, it does state that the minimum guaranteed download speed is 20.88mb, which one do I really need to care about, because I am literally on the verge of that min guaranteed speed, my best tests are actually under that though, so where do I stand, oh thanks for your help as well, I just really don't want to go through the process of trying to gain my money back if they were to put the charge on me, so much stress over something that is never really backed up

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Those figures relate only to sync speeds. ISPs provide only sync speeds not throughput. So your speedtests don't come into it.

I would expect at least 50 Meg from your line, but going from those figures alone you should be getting at least 30 Meg. Holding you to some arbitrary Guaranteed Speed would be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Valued Contributor

Ok so an update

BT engineer came round, I wasn't in so couldn't get a real word with him, he basically gave me the low that the original BT line was wired incorrectly or something, also that someone may have tried to access our line because there was some dodgy wiring outside of my house? I asked him if I will be charged while I was on the phone to him and he said no because BT were at fault and it was at the master socket (which I believe is on their end?)

Anyhoo, got home these are my router stats

DSL STATUS

This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.

STATUS
 	Configured	Current
Line Status	--	UP
Link Type	--	Fast Path
Operation Mode	Automatic	G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream	19999 (Kbps)
Downstream	54341 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION
Operation Data	Upstream	Downstream
Noise Margin	15.1 (dB)	5.9 (dB)
Line Attenuation	0.0 (dB)	16.2 (dB)

Indicator Name	Near End Indicator	Far End Indicator
Output Power	6.8 (dBm)	12.4 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction	82983	97
Interleaved Path FEC Correction	--	--
Fast Path CRC Error	0	260
Interleaved Path CRC Error	--	--
Loss Of Signal Defect	1	0
Fast Path HEC Error STR	0	49
Interleaved Path HEC Error	--	--
Error Seconds	6473	427
STATISTICS
Received Data	18574285 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data	10597699 (Kbits)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Success! That's more like it! Your sync is exactly as predicted by EE. Most remarkable!

Valued Contributor

Configured	Current
Line Status	--	UP
Link Type	--	Fast Path
Operation Mode	Automatic	G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream	19999 (Kbps)
Downstream	54341 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION
Operation Data	Upstream	Downstream
Noise Margin	15.1 (dB)	6.1 (dB)
Line Attenuation	0.0 (dB)	16.2 (dB)

Indicator Name	Near End Indicator	Far End Indicator
Output Power	6.8 (dBm)	12.4 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction	621944	239
Interleaved Path FEC Correction	--	--
Fast Path CRC Error	0	2104
Interleaved Path CRC Error	--	--
Loss Of Signal Defect	1	0
Fast Path HEC Error STR	0	471
Interleaved Path HEC Error	--	--
Error Seconds	6482	438
STATISTICS
Received Data	8339916 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data	24996961 (Kbits)

Its been over 24 hours and there hasn't been over 10 error seconds lol, will check the other stats when I get back from my night out, you advice on unplugging router just to reset stats?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, particularly error counts. It's a reboot, i.e. power OFF/ON.

Valued Contributor

I have just receieved my bill...£186 in engineer charges, I am extremly unhappy, I will be calling up EE tonight because this is unacceptable.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

So would I be. Yet he talked of dodgy wiring & your sync speed more than doubled as a result of his visit. You should not be charged.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Sharm.

Please do call us tonight and let us know how you get on.

Thanks 🙂

Valued Contributor

Spent an hour on the phone to someone, he told me that the engineer changed the faceplate of my master socket so I am liable to be charged. I am pretty sure he switched out the plate just to put on that charge...

Mad annoying becasue throughout this ordeal I have been lied to, continously lied to, more lies, worst thing is, I tested via the test socket and I was still getting bad sync speed.

Just had enough with BT, they are the most evil company to ever exist, they have by far the worst infrastructure in europe, I don't understand how people in small towns can get gigabit but I can't even get 100mb line nevermind giga, BT are just lucky that they monopolise 90% of the UK, I hope virgin take over this stat soon because dealing with BT and further trickle down to EE, they are by far the worst 2 companies out there, can't wait for virgin to come to my area.

Oh the support guy tried to tell me I wasn't "forced" to sign their obligation, you make my service worse and you force me to sign a contract otherwise if I don't sign it I won't get support? In any case, looks like I will be charged, I am waiting for a manager to call me up within the hour, I really do feel for other EE/BT customers because the staff they hire for call centres are the most incompetent people I have ever spoken to, all they do is spit out lies or they have no clue what they are talking about. I have been told that the charge is not applied right now but I doubt it will be taken off, yeah basically in short.

BT are scum.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.