by SCOOBS Investigator
Investigator

Will EE Routers have The New Wi-Fi Protocol WPA3 by the end of the year?

I see that the Wi-Fi Alliance announced The new Wi-Fi Protocol standard WPA3 at CES to begin rolling out this year, will EE Routers also have this by the end of this year?

and while were on the subject of security what happend about the krack vulnerability?

was this a non issue with EE Routers or was it patched?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/9/16867940/wi-fi-alliance-new-wpa3-security-protections-wpa2-announc...

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Will EE Routers have The New Wi-Fi Protocol WPA3 by the end of the year?

Hi @SCOOBS,

Welcome back to the Community. Smiley Happy

As the new standard has only just been announced I don't have any information to share at the moment.

If any changes are made you will find them under technical specifications here.

Thanks

James

by john_largs
Visitor

Hi James_B,  

I noticed that you did not answer the second part of @SCOOBS question

i.e "what happend about the krack vulnerability? was this a non issue with EE Routers or was it patched?" .

I too would like an answer from EE as to whether the Krack vulnerability affects the Brightbox 1 and 2 routers and whether EE has provided/will provide a patch

Thanks

John

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @john_largs,

Welcome to the EE Community. Smiley Happy

A software update wasn’t necessary as the exploit does not impact wireless access points such as the Bright Box.

Thanks

James

by mclaughlan

Hi James@EE

I have a number of devices connected to my EE broadband wireless connection all with Norton AV and Security.  THis is now telling me that my wifi is vulnerable and at risk and I need to download an update from my device manufacturer.  When will this be available?  The issue is urgent?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mclaughlan: @James_B covered this for a recently discovered  vulnerability in https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Will-EE-Routers-have-The-New-Wi-Fi-Protocol-WPA3-... .

Of course, your AV could be talking about some other vulnerability, like you are using too weak wireless security. WPA2 with a strong passkey is recommended. You don't say what.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.