by Dragonfly Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

WiFi dropping out frequently, only since getting Smart Hub.

I 've been with EE for a few years, and recently ( 20th Sept ) changed to fibre. I set the new Smart Hub in exactly the same place as the old Bright Box, using the new cable and splitter.

The old BB just worked, I never had any wireless problems, but the Smart Hub is very erratic, it's dropping WiFi all the time.

As nothing has changed other than the router, I can't think of anything else that can be causing this problem. I've tried interpretting the router log, but it just shows lots of DCHP disconnects and re-connects, with no reason I can see.

( The log seems very unreliably anyway, it says my laptop is a 5G device, which I don't think a 7 year old DELL could be.

5G Client disassociate from c0:cb:38:6c:0b:8d (IP=192.168.1.107) RSSI=0, Rate=0Mbps )

I can see dropouts for all our WiFi connected devices in the log, so I don't think it's a device problem.

Is there a known issue with EE Smart Hubs ?.

(I've seen a few posts in here which seem to have been fixed by getting a new router. )

Cheers,

Buzby

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: WiFi dropping out frequently, only since getting Smart Hub.

For an EE Smart Hub try separating the wireless channels. On the Advanced / Wireless Settings page of the SH there is a button near the top to Separate the Bands. Turn it ON. Then the 5GHz SSID will appear starting with "5GHz-" & the 2.4 GHz SSID not starting with "5GHz-".

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

For an EE Smart Hub try separating the wireless channels. On the Advanced / Wireless Settings page of the SH there is a button near the top to Separate the Bands. Turn it ON. Then the 5GHz SSID will appear starting with "5GHz-" & the 2.4 GHz SSID not starting with "5GHz-".

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

OK, done that.

Will report back later.

Cheers !

Valued Contributor

It certainly looks like splitting the 5GHz  and 2.4GHz bands has done the trick, there's not been any dropouts for 24h.

But what exactly does 'splitting' do ?. How can two different bands be treated as one in the first place ?.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The 2.4 & 5 GHz bands are still there but when not "separated" they present the same SSID name to other devices. This sometimes confuses connecting devices. By separating them makes the SH more like the BB2.

Thanks!  Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.