by e1ement Investigator
Investigator

Wi-fi speeds insanely low

Hi there,

So I've been getting ridiculously low speeds on my wifi recently, and I can't figure out why. I have had speeds of 0.03mbps (measured by google's network speed test) and at most around 2.5mpbs. There are 5 people who use the wifi regularly, and each of us have many device, but there are probably only 3/4 devices actively using the wifi at one time. But even in the early morning when I am the only one using the wifi, I still get ridiculously low speeds of less than 0.5mbps. The plan we are on is 10mbps with the EE BrightBox router (not sure which one). I have also been getting 1000+ ping on online games, but I am assuming that is irrelevant.

Any help would be much appreciated.

8 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Wi-fi speeds insanely low

Hi @e1ement.

Welcome to the community.

What speeds were you previously getting?

Has the router position changed recently or has anything new been placed around the router?

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Jon

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try both a wired & wireless speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by e1ement Investigator
Investigator

. IRe: Wi-fi speeds insanely low

Hi, I've been getting these speeds for as long as I can remember having the router. It's placed downstairs but all around the house I get speeds such as the ones I talked about earlier.

Thanks

by
EE Community Support Team

Re: . IRe: Wi-fi speeds insanely low

Hi @e1ement.

Thanks for this information.

Are you able to post the information that @XRaySpeX has asked for?

I'm sure he'll be able to get to the bottom of your problem.

Jon

by e1ement Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

The DSL Status is attached, and my system uptime is 304:22:21.

My wireless speed test results are https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1546698401862319455

I am not getting these speeds on any application on any device though.

And finally here is the link to my exchange.

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSCHI

Thanks

dsl status.PNG

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Now can you do a wired speedtest so we have a baseline?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by e1ement Investigator
Investigator

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Check your IP Profile. Run the BT Wholesale Performance Test (ignoring all the red instructions) and on the initial results page click Further diagnostics at the bottom. The IP Profile is given in the text box.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.