by Julian7 Investigator
Investigator

Why is EE fibre broadband slower than BT?

I switched from BT to EE in January. I have Fibre Max, and had the equivalent highest level from BT. 

I have a Samknows box, which monitors the line speed daily, and this shows that my download speed fell from average 73Mbps to 63Mbps.

bbspeed.png

I called EE support and the very helpful engineer ran tests, reset things etc, but it made no difference. He said the speed I was getting was within the expected limits and there was nothing else he could do.

My question is, why should this be different? The copper cable is the same. The green box is the same. The fibre to the exchange is the same. Presumably, much of the equipment in the exchange is the same. I have replaced my old Openreach ADSL modem with the EE hub, but that is the only difference at my end.

Does anyone have any ideas why EE is not capable of equalling BT's speed in my case? I shall be going back to BT when my contract expires if it doesn't improve.

Julian

15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why is EE fibre broadband slower than BT?

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

No reason at all. Even the equipment in the exchange is the same. EE have no BB kit of their own; it's all provided by BT.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

4. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

by Julian7 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks in advance for your help. Much appreciated. Here is the info (the format was changed when I tried to post the message):

DSL STATUS This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS  Configured CurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Fast Path
AutomaticG.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATIONUpstreamDownstream
19999 (Kbps)
69077 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATIONOperation Data Upstream DownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
14.7 (dB)6.1 (dB)
0.0 (dB)15.6 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
6.7 (dBm)12.4 (dBm)
----
----
----
STATISTICSReceived DataTransmitted Data
21252819 (Kbits)
26564502 (Kbits)

System Uptime is 110:34:45

Wired speed test results http://tbb.st/1520459499196147455

Exchange is Godalming

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 01483xxxxxx on Exchange GODALMING is served by Cabinet 23

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus
VDSL Range A (Clean)8060201953Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)73.945.62015.338.2Available---- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 11--6.5 to 15Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 11Up to 16.5 to 15Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 6--5 to 8Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapN      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date20-05-2017      

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Table invisible! Corrected:

@Julian7 wrote:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 01483xxxxxx on Exchange GODALMING is served by Cabinet 23

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 60 20 19 53 Available -- --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 73.9 45.6 20 15.3 38.2 Available -- --  
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- --  
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 11 -- 6.5 to 15 Available -- --  
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 11 Up to 1 6.5 to 15 Available -- --  
ADSL Max Up to 6 -- 5 to 8 Available -- --  
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --  
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --  
VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  
Bridge Tap N            
VRI N            
NTEFaceplate N            
Last Test Date 20-05-2017            

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, you are well within expected range.

What are router stats from test socket?

by Julian7 Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeXwrote:

What are router stats from test socket?

I'm not sure what this means, I'm afraid.

Julian

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Julian4 What date did you switch to EE?  Would it have been 15th January?

by Julian7 Investigator
Investigator

@Paulosbwrote:

Yes

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Julian7wrote:

@Paulosbwrote:

Yes

So I am speculating that the downward slope of the SamsKnows graph shows the fews days of initial DLM optimisation of your line to a stable level, after which you have the plateau of the optimal speed.    So if all things remain the same either EE can't deliver what BT could or the optimisation has not correctly set your speed profile.

@XRaySpeX - what do you think?

by Julian7 Investigator
Investigator

The speed according to Samknows appears to have gone down over a few days. Whether this was an actual slow reduction, or just the way Samknows averages the speed, I don't know.

bb2.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

The 10-day optimisation is a myth! The DLM runs all the time monitoring your line.

What matters is your sync speeds, not SamKnows speedtests.

by Julian7 Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX

Apologies for the delay in getting back.

1. The cable from my router plugs straight into the socket in the wall. There is no microfilter and I do not have one to test, if there is a phone test socket under the plate (I didn't take it off to look). See photo.

2. I unplugged the phone from the socket, rebooted the router and checked the DSL stats again. Copied at the end of this post, although they don't look much different from last time.

3. Did the quiet line test. No crackles etc.

4. Ran the speed test again. Results here http://tbb.st/1520977447890579855

To summarise, it still seems a mystery why my EE connection is 10Mbps slower than BT was.

Julian

IMG_1796.jpg

DSL STATUS

This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.

STATUS

Configured

Current

Line Status

--

UP

Link Type

--

Fast Path

Operation Mode

Automatic

G.993.2 (VDSL2)

DATA RATE INFORMATION

Upstream

19999 (Kbps)

Downstream

69387 (Kbps)

DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION

Operation Data

Upstream

Downstream

Noise Margin

15.1 (dB)

6.2 (dB)

Line Attenuation

0.0 (dB)

15.6 (dB)

Indicator Name

Near End Indicator

Far End Indicator

Output Power

6.8 (dBm)

12.5 (dBm)

Fast Path FEC Correction

Interleaved Path FEC Correction

--

--

Fast Path CRC Error

Interleaved Path CRC Error

--

--

Loss Of Signal Defect

Fast Path HEC Error STR

Interleaved Path HEC Error

--

--

Error Seconds

STATISTICS

Received Data

1600 (Kbits)

Transmitted Data

1204 (Kbits)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

OIC, now I'm awake :smileywink:! Forget all that. There's a 2nd, shuttered, socket in the faceplate, almost invisible to the naked eye, for the phone.

You have a VDSL Interstitial faceplate. This is How to access test socket on Openreach master socket .

by Julian7 Investigator
Investigator

Strangely, over three months after my move from BT to EE, my broadband speed has returned to the same speed as it was before. As this graph shows, I suffered an immediate slowdown when I swapped to EE and on about 5th May, the speed increased back to where it was. Happy that the speed has recovered, not so happy that no one from EE was able to identify the problem beforehand and fix it.

Julian

ee.jpeg

by
EE Employee

Hi @Julian7

I'm glad you are now back to normal in regards to speeds 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.