by sapphireblue Investigator
Investigator

Why does uploading cause main broadband to slow down for everyone else?

We are on the basic broadband service. My son uploads home video to his channel, but when he's doing this, broadband slows down to a standstill for the rest of us. How can I rectify this? I've never had this happen with the 3 other broadband providers I've been with.

9 REPLIES 9
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Why does uploading cause main broadband to slow down for everyone else?

Good afternoon @saphireblue

Thank you for coming to see us in community 🙂

I would suggest you please see the Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? support article by @XRaySpeX.

Let us know if you need any further support.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If he's doing this over WiFi, you could limit his use of upload with Bandwidth Control.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by

Good shout @XRaySpeX

Thanks for stepping in and helping.

Richard

🙂

Investigator

Thanks  

Investigator

Thanks 

Have just asked to upgrade to fibre to see if this makes a difference with much more upload speed than the current 0.4. Will be completed by 31st July.

Although I don't see why uploading even at 0.4 would squash normal internet usage.

by

Thanks for letting me know @sapphireblue.

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Nor I. It's usually t'other way round, heavy downloading could saturate the upstream with its ACKs.

Isn't it premature to switch to fibre before looking into this? There could be other reasons that can be fixed. Please post your full router stats.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I've been thinking of upgrading for a while anyway.

I'm a newbie to all this, but do have some tech knowledge - how do I post my router stats?

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.