by atdmedia Investigator
Investigator

Why does my broadband slow down when I send an email

Hi Guys, I have standard 20mb down, 1mb up broadband.  

When I send an email with atachment (photo etc) via any device through my broadband, the download speed drops significantly, enough to cause any streaming tv service to stop.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why does my broadband slow down when I send an email

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

When you are sending an email with a large attachment it is going on the relatively slow ADSL ~1 Meg upstream. Also the large attachment is sent broken into chunks & each chunk waits for an ACK to be received on the downstream.

Which router do you have? You may be able to use QoS facilities to prioritise the video over the email. Or just don't send large emails while streaming TV.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, both while sending 1 of these mails & while not, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by atdmedia Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I've just setup the QoS so hopefully that will do the trick.  Here's the other info though:-

DSL STATUS This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Fibre/Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS  Configured CurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Fast Path
AutomaticG.992.5 (ADSL2+)
DATA RATE INFORMATIONUpstreamDownstream
1072 (Kbps)
19175 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATIONOperation Data Upstream DownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
5.7 (dB)6.0 (dB)
6.6 (dB)15.0 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
12.2 (dBm)20.8 (dBm)
----
----
----
STATISTICSReceived DataTransmitted Data
4374064 (Kbits)
13679064 (Kbits)

System Uptime is: 50:29:51

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWBUDE

by atdmedia Investigator
Investigator

Hi Guys, I thought the QoS settings had done the trick but unfortunatly not.  Any Ideas?  

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Only just don't send large emails while streaming TV. With ADSL you have a relatively low upstream bandwidth.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by atdmedia Investigator
Investigator

Ok, will do.

Thanks for your help

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.