by Sarah127127 Investigator
Investigator

Why does my Landlord have to register my house as a HMO for two phone lines.

I recently had EE Broadband installed where my son lives - in a HMO.  There is a lady in the lower ground floor who has had a BT Line for 40 years.  EE have cut her off & taken over her line & given me (my son) a new number.  They expressly assured me twice they would not do this.  Today EE told me that when the engineer went to the box in the street (as I had to call one, as the phone line was dead) he saw that the house is only registered as 1 person living there (there are 8).  Apparently he cannot legally allow more than 1 line in to the house unless the Landlord registers the House as a HMO with the Royal Mail.  Why on earth would it be the Royal Mail & how would the Landlord do this?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Why does my Landlord have to register my house as a HMO for two phone lines.

1. Was the lady's BT landline in her own name? If so, EE have slammed her landline. They should informed BT that they intended to take over it over & BT would have given her 2 weeks to object.
  2. It is not true that a single occupancy dwelling can only 1 phone line. Most houses have 2 pairs coming to the house within 1 cable & many only use 1 with the other spare. I have 2 here.
  3. EE will not sell a landline w/out BB. If you take 2 landlines from EE you must also take 2 BBs. If you want a landline w/out BB you need to go elsewhere for it, like BT.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
7 REPLIES 7
Investigator

Re: Why does my Landlord have to register my house as a HMO for two phone lines.

So the fact that they cut off her BT phone line of 40 years without her permission, because I asked for an EE one, means she will have to ask BT to reconnect her & I will potentially lose the EE line - because of this Royal Mail thing - or are EE lying about that?
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Thisisaomething you'l need to take up with your landlord not EE.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

1. Was the lady's BT landline in her own name? If so, EE have slammed her landline. They should informed BT that they intended to take over it over & BT would have given her 2 weeks to object.
  2. It is not true that a single occupancy dwelling can only 1 phone line. Most houses have 2 pairs coming to the house within 1 cable & many only use 1 with the other spare. I have 2 here.
  3. EE will not sell a landline w/out BB. If you take 2 landlines from EE you must also take 2 BBs. If you want a landline w/out BB you need to go elsewhere for it, like BT.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, because EE have flouted OFCOM procedures.

Investigator

Thanks for your info.  Yes the BT line was in her name & I know the phone number.  What does "slammed" her line mean?  They gave her no notification.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

See Telephone slamming .

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @Sarah127127

You will need to give our customer services team a quick call to look into this further for you.

Here in the community, we do not have any account access.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.