by wrightwells Contributor
Contributor

Why does Broadband EE Mobile Booster usage use my EE Mobile Data Allowance?

Ok I have not really bothered to worry about this before as I am always within my EE Mobile allowance, but since the issue with the router update and wireless not working , I have had to use my phone as a hotspot. 

I live in an area with ZERO mobile reception so I am connected to an EE Boaster over my EE broadband connect.

So if I am actually using my broadband internet connection why am I (effectivity billed) for my mobile connection too?

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why does Broadband EE Mobile Booster usage use my EE Mobile Data Allowance?

The EE Booster Box helps to make your mobile transactions over your BB connection when the mobile signal is weak, but they are still mobile transactions and are charged or allowed for accordingly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @wrightwells

What kind of phone do you use?

I'll do my best to help.

Chris

Contributor

Hi @

by

Thanks @wrightwells

Is it a signal box that you use, or a WiFi booster?

Signal Boxes boost your mobile coverage and is plugged directly into your router.

WiFi boosters are placed in another room to boost the WiFi signal.

Thanks

Chris

Contributor

It is a Signal booster box for the mobile signal (as there is zero mobile reception in my area) which is connected via ethernet to the bright box router.

by
EE Employee

Hi @wrightwells

Please do make sure you are connected to the WIFI router.

Please do make sure auto switch is turned off.

Smart network switch lets you stay connected by switching to available cellular data sources whenever your Wi-Fi connection becomes unstable.

1. Swipe down from the top of the screen to pull down the Notification Shade.
  2. Tap the Settings button in the top right corner of your screen.
  3. Tap Wi-Fi.

4. Tap More in the upper right corner of your screen

5. Tap Smart network switch.
  6. Tap on or off in the pop-up message box.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

I think you have answered why I am using my Mobile Data allowance when my wifi is unavailable , my question was why when my BB router is not working correctly because a support member said that an update had not worked, that still allows a connection  to the internet via my mobile booster , which is actually using my BB. That I am effectively charged for 1. my BB data and 2. my mobile data for the same peice of data?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You are effectively being charged for 2 separate contracts:

1. Your fixed Home BB connection on a monthly basis with unlimited usage.
  2. Your mobile phone which has a limited amount of data.

Whenever you use your mobile, even over the Signal Box & BB, you are still using your mobile data (& calls & texts) allowances. Remember you could still be doing this even when you had your BB from another ISP, not EE.

I think I have answered why you are using your mobile allowances even when they are going thro' the Signal Box.

If you are having problems with your BB itself, I would suggest you start a new thread about it & we could help you look into it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by

Hi @wrightwells,

If you turn off mobile data are you able to browse the web via your home WiFi connection?

Thanks

James

Contributor

No that is the point, I get ping times of 3492+ on any device connected to wifi, even within 30cms of the router, however over mobile hotspot its 45ms with the phone connected to the booster.

by

Thanks @wrightwells

Do you experience the same issue when using a wired connection?

@XRaySpeX - Now we have clarified it's an issue with the HBB connection, would you mind helping diagnose the cause of the high ping times?

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.