by cylonrouter Contributor
Contributor

Why am I get lag spikes (high ping) every 2 minutes?

Hi all, I'm new to EE and the website is apparently down (can't login) so I thought I'd ask a question here.

I've come from TalkTalk and had no problems there but was on a slow ADSL plan.

I'm on Fibre (FTTC) at ~37Mbps (give or take); speed appears to be relatively consistent and is as expected much higher than previous service. Cabinet is about 5m (yes five metres) away; exchange is Newport Savoy.

However, ping (latentcy) is spiking severely on a schedule. We play some online games and this is making them unplayable - for example CSGO we're getting 70ms pings as baseline which is a little higher than before but within acceptable bounds. But every 2 minutes (exactly, 120s, AFAICT) the ping spikes to anything from 250ms to 1000ms causing rubber-banding, and whatever.

I've tested a few different servers using MTR (and a couple of other ways) and run against non-gaming servers such as bbc.co.uk and OpenDNS, ee.co.uk. All destinations have the same lag spikes.

Clearly this isn't an internal issue or there would have been problems with ADSL before.

Smarthub v0.00.14.52013-EE

Noise margin (up/down):14.8 / 8.2
Line attenuation (up/down):12.8 / 13.4
Signal attenuation (up/down):12.8 / 13.5

Any suggestions, or do I need to revert to my former service provider. The new speed is great, but inability to play online games is contrary to our expectations for even the most basic broadband service.

This image shows a typical MTR (as it happens for a CSGO server) note the nominal ping is ~35ms but it peaks at over 1500ms; also note the equally spaced repetition.

[Side note - the "Rich Text" comment box is a nightmare to try and paste anything in to.]Screenshot_20180627_031116__small.png

2 REPLIES 2
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Why am I get lag spikes (high ping) every 2 minutes?

Good Morning @cylonrouter

Thanks for coming to the community.

I would suggest speaking to our broadband customer service team.

They will be able to get this looked into further for you.

Thanks, Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why am I get lag spikes (high ping) every 2 minutes?

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

4. Please supply tracerts to both bbc.co.uk & 1 of your game servers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.