by Benjiblobs Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When will my updated broadband service go live?

Hi there,

I've just helped to get my father's broadband service upped with EE - he was already an EE customer and is perfectly happy to stay with them, he just wanted a faster broadband speed. 

We've just finished on the phone, and I was just wondering when he might expect the updated service speed to go live? Is it a fairly immediate thing, or are we likely to be in for a wait? 

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: When will my updated broadband service go live?

Updated from what to what? If it's from ADSL BB to Fibre it could take a few days for EE to get a BT engineer out to move the wires between the cabinets.

Has he not been informed of his go-live date? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Apologies, it was the standard 30-40mb connection to the 67mb package. They're both fibre plans, so I assume there should be very little to change seeing as the cap ought to be artifical!

He wasn't given a go live date

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, I would assume that as well. There are no physical changes to be made. All EE has to do is to remove a 40 Meg artificial cap by software. Trouble is I'm not sure whether they have to ask BT to do this and BT need to allocate an eng.

Are you sure he will benefit from the upgrade? If he's not getting 40 Meg now he won't from the faster fibre. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for his phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out his phone number. If it doesn't recognise his phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

I guess we'll have to wait and see - apparently no change as of yet. I think you're right, BT are probably needed to make the actual change, they presumably do the load balancing from the exchange and therefore need to make the alteration.

I'm positive it'll be worth it. I work in the tech sector myself, and deal with consumer networks on a near daily basis so know a fair bit about it. He lives in a relativly new estate in a nice area without many other properties around and without a single issue achives the 40mb connection he has now. The house is set up with a fairly expensive router, and several APs dotted around the place (I set them up myself to make the best of his previous connection). From a cost perspective it's equally worth it, he's been on the 40mb package for such a long time that he was actually paying more to stay on that plan than it will cost him to be on this 60mb package.

Everyone living at that property uses the connection fairly intensivly so I'm almost certain it will be made use of. My mother teaches online via a virtual classroom so she alone will make good use of it - not to mention in the day and age of 4K downloading and streaming, a quicker connection is never a bad thing!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.