by Urbanspaceman Contributor
Contributor

Weird connection problems

When I connect to the test socket I am getting approx: 36mbps download speed.When I put the face plate back on it goes down to 12mbps.

There is only one extension in the house and that is where the router was connected originally,when it was connected there I was getting 36mbps.

What can possibly be causing the problem?

Would appreciate any help or suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Weird connection problems

@Urbanspaceman: Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

From your description you do seem to have peculiar & possibly faulty wiring. I would assume the original socket used for your router was a master socket. Do both your sockets have internal hidden test sockets? Only master sockets have test sockets & there must be only 1 master socket on a line. Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket you are currently using?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do both tests from both the test socket & with the faceplate back in place:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

The orignal socket I had it connected to was an extension socket (Not ideal but had little choice)

The Master socket is an Openreach MC5.the bottom half removes by squeezing the sides.

When I was running the router from the extension socket I was getting 36mbps download speed.When I remove the face plate in the master socket I recieve 36mbps but when the face plate is put back the speed drops to approx 12mbps.

I've even tried it with both phones disconnected but makes no difference.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, at least there are not 2 master sockets :). Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket you are currently using? 

Please supply the router stats as requested.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Hi

Yes there are wires connected behind the face plate ( I think they are the extension wires) I have read about interference on the bell wire.Don't know if that would have a bearing.

Connected to the Master socket I have download 36.5mbps and Upload 8.42mbps.But this drastically reduces when face plate is re-fitted.I've also always had a disconnection problem where by the router would restart by itself.

One youtube video states the bell wire is orange and white,I have three wires in the master socket that connect under a clear flap,one of those is orange and white.

The thing I don't understand is if the bellwire was causing a problem how come I was receiving 36mbps when the router was originally connected to it.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.