by Heidi13 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

We have superfast broadband in our road. Why isn’t EE offering superfast broadba

We have superfast broadband in our road. But EE is not offering superfast broadband. WHY?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: We have superfast broadband in our road. Why isn’t EE offering superfast bro

@Heidi13: You & all your neighbours do have Exchange Only lines but not on top of the exchange but over 2 miles from it. 100% of your postcode & 2 other adjacent ones are connected to the exchange via the concentrator cabinet "Exchange 1" on the A396 near the junction of Broad Lane as shown in the map on https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1036174&cabinets=15423 .

As EO lines on the Winsford exchange that means that all of you can only get:

• FTTP, but not from EE. Probably only from BT, Zen + Plusnet on trial.
  • No FTTC, the fibre that most users can get.
  • Up to 8 Meg ADSL Max from any ISP.

as confirmed by the BT Availability Checker results you supplied. Your neighbours who are reporting "Superfast" Fibre can only be getting FTTP probably from BT who call it "BT Infinity 3 or 4". Unfortunately you can't get the equivalent from EE as they just don't supply FTTP, only FTTC which is not available there.

Are you living on a new-build estate? That is the usual reason for having FTTP far from the exchange.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
64 REPLIES 64
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: We have superfast broadband in our road. Why isn’t EE offering superfast bro

Are any fibre packages showing when you enter your phone number / postcode into the EE broadband website?

As with most ISP's, it looks like EE don't sell the faster ~76mpbs fibre packages online now.  You have to ring to order that.  EE and other ISP's do this now because they will only sell you the fastest fibre packages if they are sure your line will support the faster speeds, usually >55mbps.  Anything less than that and the ISP will not process the faster fibre order and just offer you the standard upto 38mbps fibre packages only.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Heidi13What does it say when you enter your phone number/adress in the BT DSL Checker?

@Profile closed???? total confusion!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

When you use the BT Broadband Availability Checker if it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Please post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number.

Eh, @Profile closed, what do you mean that EE, & others, don't sell online:

Fibre Plus Broadband
Big families and shared houses
who need to be online at the same time

Up to
76Mb/s

£33
for 18 months
Incl. line rental
£35 £15
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@XRaySpeX trying ordering it online as see for yourself then. If I try to do it  only gives me the upto 38Mbps option and not the faster option.

Sky and others do the same thing.

More and more ISP are no longer selling the faster upto fibre option online and you need to order by calling because as I've already mentioned, most ISP's will no longer sell you the upto 76mbps fibre if the line speed is anything below around ~55mbps (which mine isn't).

For my line EE say:

Fibre broadband: 44.5Mb/s download, 9.8Mb/s upload. We estimate that your line can support download speeds of between 35Mb/s and 62.4Mb/s, and upload speeds of between 7.1Mb/s and 14.9Mb/s. If you select Fibre Broadband, your broadband speed will be capped to 38Mb/s.

Which is spot on, as I get ~63mbps from Sky right now (though EE's upload estimate is low), yet the only 2 broadband options EE offer me online are as follows:

EE1.jpeg

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Profile closedAll ISp's will let you choose the maximum speed your line is capable of. You maybe unlucky to be not so close to your cabinet to get higher speeds, but to put such a blanket response is totally wrong. Speeds are determined by how close you are to the nearest cabinet for FTTC, or exchanched in the case of ADSL

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, @Profile closed, I've just ordered:

Your package
Fibre Plus Broadband
£33
18-month plan 

at least as far as giving my Credit card details Smiley Wink.

@Profile closed wrote:

More and more ISP are no longer selling the faster upto fibre option online and you need to order by calling because as I've already mentioned, most ISP's will no longer sell you the upto 76mbps fibre if the line speed is anything below around ~55mbps

EE don't do the slower fibre capped at 55 Meg. Only BT & maybe PN do that. For EE the capped threshold is 40 Meg.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@XRaySpeX I didnt say they did, however, many use the ~55mbps point as a cut-off point between placing an order or not.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed: It doesn't make sense for an ISP who doesn't sell a lower fibre capped at 55 Meg to be using a 55 Meg cut-off at the point of sale.

I agree that your blanket statements are misleading to any readers. I proved your initial statement to be plumb wrong!

Anyway the trustworthy source of any such enquiries should be the BT Availability Checker, not individual ISPs' checkers. At least a start can be made from there.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Mustrumwrote:

@Profile closedAll ISp's will let you choose the maximum speed your line is capable of.

To be accurate that should read:

A   The Openreach external line and distance to cab. determines the maximum speed your line is capable of. Measured at the last pole or manhole by the BT Checker website.

B   Beolw that the ISP's tarrif cap you select determines the maximum speed available to you at the master socket.   (the tariff cap can be higher than A but you will get the lower of two)

C   Below that, your own socket configuration and home network determines what the maximum speed is at the Router.  This will be a little lower than A or B

D   Your wifi network and how efficient it is will detrmine the actual speeds you get at wireless devices.  This could be substantially lower than C

So it feasible to have a typical configuration:

80MBs, 40MBps, 38Mbps, 20MBps

or

30MBps, 40MBps, 28MBps, 27MBps

by Grand Master
Grand Master

So, @Heidi13, would you like us to get back to trying to answer your original Q by posting the result of the BT Broadband Availability Checker ?

Established Contributor

Many thanks for all the helpful comments and answers to my question. 

I checked the BT coverage for my address and this is the result. 

“BT Unlimited Infinity fibre broadband. Great news. You can get speeds up to 300Mb with Unlimited Infinity 4, and you can get BT TV.”

So can I expect this same result from EE?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, you can't. EE don't sell any equivalent of BT's 300 Meg Unlimited Infinity 4, but it will do the equivalent of BT's lower Infinities.

May we see the complete table from the BT Broadband Availability Checker and we'll be able to advise you?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Heidi13wrote:

I checked the BT coverage for my address and this is the result. 

“BT Unlimited Infinity fibre broadband. Great news. You can get speeds up to 300Mb with Unlimited Infinity 4, and you can get BT TV.”

This is true fibre to the home but is just a small part of the picture.  Only about 1% of people take up such Ultrafast services.   BT can do this service for you - at a price.

The majority of people in the UK are happy with Superfast Broadband ( FTTC: erroneously called Fibre as it isn't fibre all the way and still uses a long bit of copper). Superfast is speeds of 26MBps upto 80MBps.  This is enough for most home use and great for streaming TV and heavy users.  This is available to 80-90% of homes.  EE can supply this for you IF your line can support it (speeds will be shown in the BT checker website) - and that will be on a sliding scale of speeds depending on how far you are from the cabinet.

Established Contributor

Thanks, Paulosb, for your helpful response.

I would be happy for EE to supply these Superfast speeds for me. But how can I get them? Whenever I use their Broadband checker, this is the answer I get:

” Standard Broadband 3-8 Mb/s estimated download speed range “  which is frustratingly slow. 

Established Contributor

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Heidi13wrote:
This is the result I got from the BT fibre broadband checker

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/broadband/availability?s_cid=con_ppc_maxus_vidZ60_T1&vendorid...

This is the wrong website.  You need to go here:

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

This is the page that XRay linked for you.  Copy out the whole page and paste it into your reply.

It should look like this (mine) which shows I can get Superfast around 62MBps if I take a Superfast tarrif from EE (which will be their top tarrif upto 80MBps):

VDSL Range A (Clean)8062.52019   -- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)8057.22017.3
Established Contributor

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, you've gone to the BT Retail (ISP) site. That has no bearing on what EE can offer you.

We've asked throughout to use the BT Wholesale site, the BT Broadband Availability Checker , which is generally applicable to all & any ISPs. Please, please, go to the BT Broadband Availability Checker and post the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, that's just the link, not the result from it. Please post what you see on your screen after you enter your phone no. It will be a largish table, part of which was shown to you earlier.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.