Highlighted
by Scott1210s Investigator
Investigator

Very slow broadband speeds

Hello, new on here iv got and had for months now a very slow broadband connection. It's not a router or filter problem, the connection was slow on my old router that id been using for 10 years & used 2 other filters with that, made no difference, and iv now got a brand new router with a new filter. So it is not a router or filter problem.

Iv read past threads on here made by other members, so iv anticipated some of the info im likely to be asked. I highly think aswell gathering from what iv read that i may be on a banded profile.

Il assume it's because of my speeds being so low, but i havnt had much success getting speedtest results from websites directly through ethernet. They either dont load properly, or say latency error, or just a fail in general. 

I managed to get one from Fast.com

20190107_181111.jpgThrough Ethernet

Here's what happened after a couple of trys through ethernet on Thinkbroadband

20190107_175517.jpg

I managed to get a result through ethernet on BT Wholesale

20190107_202235.jpg

I dont use an EE Brightbox, but here's some stats my modem router gives me (a few days ago i was still on adsl, but my new router is adsl2+ which it's automatically switched me over to according to the router stats)  

20190107_181904.jpgThe noise margin stays around 5.7 to 6db

dslchecker using my landlinee phone pnumber.Screenshot_2019-01-03-02-04-35-1-1-1.jpgExchange: West Malling, Cabinet 55

I am able to get speedtests wirelessly on my mobile phone. Ookla speedtest on average is Downspeed: 0.17Mbps Upspeed: 60Mbps (downspeed seems to stay more constant but still low, whereas upspeed is more erratic, and can fluctuate anywhere between 0.30 and almost up to a whole 1Mbps. 

16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Very slow broadband speeds

Yes, it does indeed look as if you've been put on a banded profile. Has any work been on your line or in the neighbourhood round about these slow speeds started or has it always been this slow?

Don't bother with speedtests. The router stats tell you everything & speedtests will only be about 5/6th of the sync speed the router shows.

First, just try this:

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for replying, i dont know if any significant work has been done in the area, there has been many visits to the pole outside the house now and then, but for whom or why i dont know. Probably just general maintenance. The speeds have been slow since around October/November 2017, and i dont know what caused it.

Our main socket inside the house was renewed and moved to a different wall/entry point into the house a couple of years ago, so i wouldnt of thought it's that, and the connection was fine for a good long while after that was installed.

Ok you say the speedtests shouldnt be used for accuracy, but at the very least they can be used for me to see any improvement. I dont know how to get any more stats from my router or if they offer any. Id of also thought iv certainly at the least already produced enough info to show iv got a big issue. And from the fact iv had this fault for over a year surely my system uptime is kinda irrelevant.

If i plug into the test socket and the speeds remain bad, does that clarify the problem is outside the house somewhere? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, I'm saying in your situation speedtests are a waste of time. The router stat "Current Rate Downstream = 283K" tells you everything you need to know. Any good speedtest should give you about 235K Down speed.

You do have a big issue but until you test at the test socket you don't know yet whether it of your making or EE/BT's. The test socket forms the demarcation point between your responsibility & theirs. You wouldn't like to report the fault to EE for them to find you have faulty internal wiring & charge you at least £130 to investigate & fix it, would you?.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Well i didnt say i wasn't going to test the test socket, i will be testing it. I asked if it is still bad in the test socket does that then mean the problem is outside.....Which i presume is a yes! Smiley Happy

Investigator

Just a little update...

Iv plugged into the test socket, made no diifference, so i guess that confirms the problem is external. (and to answer your question, no there isnt any wires on the back of the faceplate.)

I tried the quiet line test (router disconnected), there was abit of slight crackle, altho the crackle was there even with or without doing the speedtest. Altho that's been a regular thing on our line, of sometimes noise, sometimes not.

Even tho that maybe considered a fault, id think it wasnt my main fault from the fact of that the noise on the line can come and go from day to day, but my low speed doesn't come and go dependant on noise. The speed remains constantly low regardless of if there is noise or not.

But anyway, my next and only step now is to call up EE (now iv also sorted out my other issue i had of knowing the EE security question) and they can deal with it for me. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Scott1210s wrote:

I tried the quiet line test (router disconnected), there was a bit of slight crackle,

That's your problem! It should be silent. You have a voice fault on the line. Report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

You should be syncing at about 7.5 Meg instead of the 283 K that you are. The reason you are not is that the DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to noise on your line introduced by this voice fault, at the top of the lowest of these ADSL Banded Profiles. It has stayed banded as the noise hasn't gone away.

You need to ensure EE get a voice eng to come out, not a BB eng.

Investigator

So i should say to EE something along the lines of, "im possibly on a banded profile because of noise on the line, and the noise is possibly because of a voice fault?" 

Altho i am now wondering if it's BT or EE that we should contact. Altho il probably phone EE.

(it wont let me edit it now but i meant to say in my previous post that the crackle was there even with or without doing the 'noise test', not speedtest.) 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Don't mention BB! Say you have a noise during calls that makes it difficult to hear everything & you'll get the right type of eng come out. Their expertise is not interchangeable.

Only contact BT if you have your landline with them. Otherwise you have no contract with them.

Speedtests are irrelevant to your case. The test socket & the QLT are to eliminate everything else.

Investigator

@XRaySpeX wrote: "Speedtests are irrelevant to your case. The test socket & the QLT are to eliminate everything else." 
I know, i was just saying that i didnt mean to say speedtest.
Well our line is supplied by BT i think, or that it was them we phoned when they then came and fitted our new master socket a couple of years ago. Or is was openreach that then turned up to do it, which i presume is the same thing.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Do you pay BT for your line? If not you have no contract with them.

All landlines are owned by Openreach. They are wholesaled to the numerous retail providers whom you buy them from. You report any faults to the provider with whom you have a contract & whom you pay. They call out OR as sub-contractors to look into the faults. It is not for you to call out BT/OR but for your provider altho' their engs may turn up on your doorstep.

In your case EE probably provides both the landline & the BB but not necessarily.

Investigator

Yes BT is our phoneline provider and EE is our internet provider.

I said that our master socket was renewed after 'calling BT', so i dunno how from that you ascertained that in my case it's probably EE that provide both. Id of thought it would suggest the opposite and that in my case EE doesn't supply both.

You say it's down to my provider to call BT/OR and not me, well if we ever have just a phone related issue, (and not broadband) well of course it's me that's gonna phone them, knowone else is gonna contact them for me.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You have never previously mentioned you had called BT for any reason. Until this moment I never realised you had your phone line with BT.

I said that it's probably EE that provide both your landline & BB for numerous reasons:

1. The vast majority of EE BB users also have their landline with EE.
  2. (Mainly for this reason:) For years EE has only sold BB when you also took your landline from them.
  3. It is many years since EE sold a BB-Only product to be hosted on an existing landline from another provider.
  4. There are very few of us left who get our BB from EE but our phone line from BT.
  5. Many EE users refer to their landline as BT even when they are getting it from EE. It's true that they are BT Wholesale Wholesale Line Rental (WLR) lines but that's not who's providing them to the end user.
  6. It's OR, a BT co., staff who come round to look into faults.
  7. ...

Remember, I have always said throughout this thread to contact your voice provider for voice faults, to cover just such an eventuality.

So let's not quibble. If you pay BT for your landline & get BT phone bills, report this voice fault to BT & don't mention BB!

Investigator

@Scott1210s wrote "Well our line is supplied by BT i think, or that it was them we phoned when they then came and fitted our new master socket a couple of years ago."

I did mention it in a previous post! No i dont wanna seem like im quibbling with you. And iv got you to thank for helping me retrieve my security question on another thread. So you've been a help. 👍

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You thought!

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Investigator

@XRaySpeX wrote:

You have never previously mentioned you had called BT for any reason.

😉

by Grand Master
Grand Master

All I'm saying is by putting "I think" in that sentence you weakened it from a statement of fact to just a possibility. It was the "I think" that stood out when I read it. 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.