by Mamod334 Investigator
Investigator

Very Bad internet Connectivity and Speed on EE Broadband

Hi everyone,

I have recently moved into a new flat in London using EE home broadband (Bright Box 2 router). 

I have found the speed of Internet to frequently be very slow as well as the signal strength to be very weak. I am currently connected to the router through Ethernet which removes the connectivity issues but the speed issue continues to persist.

I have logged into the router to check if there are any QoS rules, which there are not, and see how many con current devices are connected which is normally ~ 12 devices and so the device should not be overloaded.

The speed issue is constantly an issue 24 hrs a day but is also slower during peak periods (evenings from 6pm - 12 am).

I just tried to do a Ookla speed test and received a Latency Test Error. Also it found the closest server to be Amsterdam (before test failed) and then Noginsk (Russia). This leads me to believe there my be a VPN or something up with the external IP address

I believe there is an issue with the upload speed and latency as the Internet works acceptably on streaming since once buffering but requests take a very long time. Also during the writing off this post the Internet light switch to orange flashing and I lost all Internet connection.

I am reasonably adept with routers but I am still unable to determine the issue in this case and hence I would love any advice or help from anyone!

Many thanks,

David

Below I have provided some tables from the status and the DSL status page which may be useful:

INTERNET STATUS

Broadband Type Fibre

Broadband State Connected

Internet State Connected

Time Connected 00:11:15

Downstream Rate 16.91 Mbps

Upstream Rate 0.23 Mbps

IP Address 2.30.82.47

IPv6 Address N/A

IPv6 Prefix ::/0

Broadband Username PRODUCTIONHQNUN161726352@fs

DSL STATUS

This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.

STATUS

Configured Current

Line Status -- UP

Link Type -- Fast Path

Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)

DATA RATE INFORMATION

Upstream 232 (Kbps)

Downstream 16914 (Kbps)

DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION

Operation Data Upstream Downstream

Noise Margin 6.7 (dB) 3.6 (dB)

Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 33.1 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator

Output Power 10.5 (dBm) 9.3 (dBm)

Fast Path FEC Correction 2337 0

Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- --

Fast Path CRC Error 0 0

Interleaved Path CRC Error -- --

Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0

Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 0

Interleaved Path HEC Error -- --

Error Seconds 0 0

STATISTICS

Received Data 424509 (Kbits)

Transmitted Data 72400 (Kbits)

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Very Bad internet Connectivity and Speed on EE Broadband

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

You would appear to have a v. long line & v. slow speeds, particularly Up.

You have a normal EE public IP. There is no VPN in operation.

The Brightbox 2 does have QoS facilities.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

2. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

3. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Mamod334 Investigator
Investigator

Hi XRaySpeX,

Thanks for the quick reponse!

Details as requested below.

1. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1544739902451994955

2. https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WRBATT

Postcode: SW11 2HW

image.pngBT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER RESULT

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Please use the BT phone no. checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Mamod334 Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I am not sure what to use in the BT phone no. checker. since I do not know my telephone number, Access Line ID or UPRN.

Is there a way I can find out one of these from the router settings?

Thanks,

David

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Either dial 1470 17070 & it will announce it or look in your MyEE for BB under Your Plan.

by Mamod334 Investigator
Investigator

Unfortunately I don't have a handset to dial with to find the number out and I do not own the account and therefore can't login to MyEE, only my landlady has access to that and she says there is no telephone number associated with the account 😕

Is there any other information I can provide you to help resolve the issue? And what might the issue be from the infromation we have so far?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

All EE BB is delivered over a landline & has a phone no.

Was the speedtest you gave me done over Ethernet? It is extremely slow,

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.