Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Using own router with EE Smart Hub

Hi, I know this question has been asked more than a few times already, and I have read numerous forum posts but I just want to run this past people with more experience and make sure what I plan to do is correct.

I have EE Fibre Plus with an EE Smart Hub only. My own router is an Asus AC68U. The Asus AC68U doesnt have any form of DSL port (ADSL/VDSL).

In order to use my own router as the main access point for all devices, is my only option to: On the EE Smart Hub, Enable WAN Port, disable DHCP, WiFi, use EE hub WAN Port (4) connected to my Asus on its WAN port and then connect all devices to the Asus router? Effectively turning the smart hub into acting as a dumb modem as much as possible.

I have 4 kids at home, and before I tell them "Internets going down for 30 mins", I dont want to be 3 hours in and nothings working, and I'm just testing settings for the sake of it to get it working again. I could always fail back and factory reset EE Smart Hub, but would preferably not want to roll back.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Using own router with EE Smart Hub

@TheWhiteZombie wrote:

is my only option to: On the EE Smart Hub, Enable WAN Port (No!), disable DHCP, WiFi, use EE hub WAN Port (4) (any!) connected to my Asus on its WAN port and then connect all devices to the Asus router?

The WAN is still on the side of the DSL BB port of the SH as it has the only modem. For the ASUS the WAN is on the side of its WAN port as it is connected to a LAN port of the only modem.

Otherwise you could try it, I would. It shouldn't take long to get proof of concept. Let us know how you get along. I may have an alternative arrangement.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

My bad, you are correct, as the SH really just sees the Asus as any old client, hence why youj can connect it to any LAN port on SH. The WAN port on the SH (and WAN enabled) would be if you wanted to provide the SH with internet connectivity via WAN port.

I'll give that a shot, maybe tonight or tomorrow once I'm finished work. Its been a long time since I last did this, using a Virgin SuperHub which was about 4/5 years ago.

Thanks for the response, glad I asked now, as I wouldve connected it to the WAN port and then been like what is going on?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TheWhiteZombie wrote:

The WAN port on the SH (and WAN enabled) would be if you wanted to provide the SH with internet connectivity via WAN port.

Typically a freestanding modem, often a BT OR VDSL or G.Fast modem.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Got it all sorted, only took 5 mins from the SH end, little bit longer on the Asus end, but that was only as I was setting up the new SSIDs and other config. Thanks for the advice.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well done 🙂 ! It'll be useful to know briefly what you had to do.

Highlighted
by

Great post as i have been having thecsame problems with setting up my Asus RT-AC68U ROUTER with my EE Smart Hub.. Pease tell me how this was achieved. Was going to send it back unfortunately the box it arrived in was damaged slighty and not sure if amazon will except that.. So frustrating. Im just a user, no knowledge in this kind of technology..

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Blavatsky66

Thanks for coming here 🙂

Have you been able to get set up following the advice in this post?

Leanne.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Sorry all, been dealing with a leak in my bathroom which hasn't been ideal.

So steps I took were:

• Connected my Asus router WAN port (the one with the world icon) to my EE SH Port 1 (it can be any port)
  • Logged into router.asus.com to ensure it had an IP and internet connectivity (which it did)
  • Created Wifi SSIDs on my Asus router (it asks you to do this the first time you log into it as part of the new setup wizard)
  • Logged into my EE SH, assigned a static IP address to my Asus router
  • Rebooted Asus router
  • Connected all my devices to the Asus router
  • Disabled the Wireless on my EE SH
  • Unplug any devices that are connected to EE SH via ethernet and connect them to Asus router

Hope this helps anyone

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Did you not need to disable DHCP and/or Firewall of the EE SH?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions