by tongu055 Contributor
Contributor

Using a BT Smart Hub when EE becomes your ISP

A few years ago, BT was my ISP and I was given a BT Smart Hub to use as my wireless/router/modem. It came pre-populated with my BT broadband user name and password and so really was 'plug and play' - absolutely nothing needed to be done by me to get up and running. It is generally accepted that BT Smart Hubs cannot be used with an unconnected ISP - e.g TalkTalk. A short time later, I changed my ISP to Plusnet (which, of course, is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT) and I discovered, from the equivalent Plusnet Community to this one, that because Plusnet was in effect BT for this purpose, I would be able to continue using the BT Smart Hub, albeit that I would have to enter my new Plusnet broadband user name and password manually. This I did and, hey presto, it worked! I am now about to change my ISP from Plusnet to EE. As EE is also a wholly owned subsidiary of BT, will I be able to repeat this (i.e. enter my new EE broadband user name and password manually) and hence continue to use my BT Smart Hub with my new EE broadband facility?   

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by tongu055 Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Re: Using a BT Smart Hub when EE becomes your ISP

As the person starting this post, thanks to all involved, I now understand the position, as it applies to me. There are two relevant issues here :-

1   In spite of BT, Plusnet and EE all being part of the same parent company, I would not be able to use my BT FTTC Smart Hub on an ADSL (or indeed any other) internet package provided by EE, because the format of EE broadband user names is inconsistent with the format of BT broadband user names and the BT Smart Hub obviously requires the latter format. I am able to use my BT Smart Hub on my present ADSL internet package provided by Plusnet, because the FTTC Smart Hub will deal with an ADSL package and the format of Plusnet broadband user names is consistent with the format of BT broadband user names.

2   If I sign up to EE for an ADSL internet package, EE will not give me one of their FTTC Smart Hubs, even though one of these would be capable of doing the job. EE would only provide me with a cheaper broadband wireless/router/modem.

In view of the above, I do not think that my future internet service provider should be EE. My next move is to attempt to persuade Plusnet (as one of their existing loyal customers) to offer me the same cost package as EE is currently offering to its new customers. This would clearly be the best of both worlds for me. Wish me luck!

Again, I thank everyone who has contributed to the post and, by doing so, helped me come to this decision.

I think that it would now be appropriate to close the post.

22 REPLIES 22
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Dunno the answer to your Q but the EE SH is a rebadged BT SH Type 6B, probably better than your current 6A. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by TomChilvers Investigator
Investigator

Here's some interesting facts.

All routers from BT, Plusnet and EE are manufactuted externally, then branded appropriately for each company. Multiple types of each router exist for different connections (FTTC / DSL is most common, FTTP is rarer)

Plusnet's "Hub One" is identical to the BT HH5, is manufactured by Askey. The only differences between the two devices is the management panel, which is themed blue for BT and purple for Plusnet, and the external casing. All broadband error lights and status lights are identical.

TalkTalk's recent "TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub" is manufactured by Sagemcom, and doesn't share components with another provider currently, however this could change. The technical specifications of the device are very similar to BT/EE's Smart Hub.

BT's "Smart Hub" (HH6) is manufactured by Sagemcom and comes in multiple variations for FTTP (uncommon) and FTTC (common), and shares identical ports and internal components with EE's Smart Hub, which has a different front panel. The management panels are seemingly identical, only differentiated by a purple colour scheme for BT, and a green/turquoise colour scheme for EE. 

BT, EE and Plusnet are under the same group and use similar hardware, and I wouldn't be surprised if Plusnet roll out a Smart Hub with the same specs as the other two, due to the Hub One being the last generation of BT Hubs. 

To answer your question in general, if this has worked for you befor, it may be possible to use the method again due to the identical hardware, although flashing the OS on the BT hub with the EE Hub's OS may be required if it doesn't work. 

Contact EE customer support and check, I've read in some places that a BT Hub will work on other networks, such as EE, and in other places, it states only BT Networks, however if the line going into your house is an Openreach connection, it should be possible.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TomChilvers wrote:

BT's "Smart Hub" (HH6) is manufactured by Sagemcom and comes in multiple variations for FTTP (uncommon) and FTTC (common), and shares identical ports and internal components with EE's Smart Hub

The EE SH is the FTTP variant of the BT SH, Type 6B. Unlike the Smart Hub 6A, it has one of its yellow LAN connectors converted to a WAN port. This is identified with a Red sticker over port 4. However this does not prevent it being used just for FTTC. 

Are BT SHs really so functionally poor?

Using a BT SH on EE BB will probably depend on whether it will accept a BB Username of the form "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@fs".

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by tongu055 Contributor
Contributor

I thank everyone for the responses.

I have been told (by someone unconnected with this community) that my BT Smart Hub (which is a Type 6 FTTC by the way)  will not work on EE. The reason given is the format of EE user names is inconsistent with what the hub is designed to accept. The BT hub apparently needs user names of the format - something@something.something which the the BT format. The reason that it it will work on Plusnet is beacause Plusnet user names are of this format. I can confirm this because my current Plusnet user name is - something@plusdsl.net. This person told me that EE user names are not of this format.

Firstly, can anyone confirm this (i.e. that EE user names are not of this format)?

The reason why I am minded to try and use my existing BT Smart Hub, if and when I move to EE, is to possibly save money. Presumably, EE charge extra for their own Smart Hub.

Secondly, can any one confirm that this is so (i.e. that EE do charge extra for their Smart Hub)?

I have been told that the EE Smart Hub has now been discontinued and replaced by something called a 'Bright Box 1' for all new EE customers - even those on the basic broadband package like myself.

Thirdly, can anyone confirm this?  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tongu055:

1. Yes, as stated previously the EE SH is a rebadged BT SH Type 6B intended for FTTP but can equally be used on FTTC.
  2. Yes, as stated previously EE BB Usernames are always of the form "xxxxxxxxxxxx@fs" & so won't be acceptable to a BT SH..
  3. The EE SH comes free with EE Fibre.
  4. The EE SH has not been discontinued & in fact superceeded the Brightbox for EE Fibre.
  5. The EE SH is not supplied for EE standard ADSL BB, if that's what you are thinking of getting. A Brightbox is supplied free instead.

Investigator

Last night we used the site to switch from BT (FTTC, HH5A) to EE, and have been told we don't need an engineer, due to us already being on BT. Our hub is being shipped out to us now, and we've been told our line will transfer over to EE a couple of days after we recieve our hub. This most likely means they are cross compatible, but the login details may not be transferrable.

You get a new hub when you transfer anyway for free, which as far as I know, will be the new SmartHub.

Due to the identical internals, if required, it may be possible to replace the OS with one which would accept the connection, unless it is hardware locked.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TomChilvers:L The routers are not cross compatible. It's the line that is compatible as it would be for any BTw-based ISP & is independent of the router.

It is not possible to flash the OS of the router.

You won't be given an EE SH if you are on ADSL BB as I believe the OP wants.

Investigator

It depends on the line going into your house. During the web signup for EE Broadband, you enter postcode and landline, and are given a list of compatible plans. Higher plans, such as the 76MBps plan we've used. The plan specified on that page that we'd get a Smart Hub, however looking on the plans for our neighbours addresses, they are capped at around 31mpbs, and the details state that a BB will be issued.

We have FTTC, and our cabinet isn't too far, and we've moved both our phone line and broadband from BT to EE. Our existing BT speeds were 70 down, 20 up, and our new speeds should match them, just at a lower price. The plan stated that we'd recieve a new SH to replace our existing HH5

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, it doesn't. It depends on the product you choose. Any Fibre gets a SH while ADSL (Stabdard BB) gets a Brightbox.

@TomChilvers wrote:

looking on the plans for our neighbours addresses, they are capped at around 31mpbs, and the details state that a BB will be issued.

Then they are being diddled.

Capture.JPG

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TomChilvers: Also, before even stating your addy:

Included in Fibre plans:

✔ EE Smart Hub - our fastest, most powerful router ever

by tongu055 Contributor
Contributor
Solution

As the person starting this post, thanks to all involved, I now understand the position, as it applies to me. There are two relevant issues here :-

1   In spite of BT, Plusnet and EE all being part of the same parent company, I would not be able to use my BT FTTC Smart Hub on an ADSL (or indeed any other) internet package provided by EE, because the format of EE broadband user names is inconsistent with the format of BT broadband user names and the BT Smart Hub obviously requires the latter format. I am able to use my BT Smart Hub on my present ADSL internet package provided by Plusnet, because the FTTC Smart Hub will deal with an ADSL package and the format of Plusnet broadband user names is consistent with the format of BT broadband user names.

2   If I sign up to EE for an ADSL internet package, EE will not give me one of their FTTC Smart Hubs, even though one of these would be capable of doing the job. EE would only provide me with a cheaper broadband wireless/router/modem.

In view of the above, I do not think that my future internet service provider should be EE. My next move is to attempt to persuade Plusnet (as one of their existing loyal customers) to offer me the same cost package as EE is currently offering to its new customers. This would clearly be the best of both worlds for me. Wish me luck!

Again, I thank everyone who has contributed to the post and, by doing so, helped me come to this decision.

I think that it would now be appropriate to close the post.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

1. Spot on!
  2. Altho' you won't get an EE SH with ADSL BB you will get a Brightbox 1R which is functionally far richer altho' the wireless is more limited with only 1 band..

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Posted in the open:

@TomChilvers wrote:

You may remember me from typing an "essay" explaining the hubs provided by Plusnet, BT, EE and also some other things, I'm just making this to notify you about a little detail you had wrong. We're currently on a BT HH5 on DSL getting 70d/20u, and will transfer to EE on 19/11/2018 but get our hub earlier, and will get the same speeds (Quoted as 67-76mpb/s on the checker) 

The plan is labelled as "Fibre Plus Broadband" meaning we will get the SH on a DSL / FTTC connection, which I believe is not what you had originally explained in your message below. I've looked at all our neighbour's addresses, all have 31mpbs max or lower (It's a small street so not hard to check) but we have the Fibre Plus plan. According to Openreach's website, we are definately FTTC but we may have G.Fast. 

Anyway, to conclude, we are getting a SH over FTTC, but this may be due to us having issues with BT not meeting our demands, they may have upgraded our connection in the cabinet, however it still isn't G.Fast speeds.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Using-a-BT-Smart-Hub-when-EE-becomes-your-ISP/m-p...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TomChilvers: So, where have I got something wrong? Please quote my wrong statement explicitly.

You said you are getting Fibre Plus Broadband. In the post you linked:

1. I explicitly said "Any Fibre gets a SH",
  2. The included image from EE's online BB offer page has Fibre Plus Broadband in the L-hand column ticking "New EE SH router".

Therefore Fibre Plus Broadband will get a SH router as you say you will be getting & I "predicted" in the quoted post. So I really don't know what you are on about!

FYI:

• EE's Fibre Plus Broadband is uncapped FTTC. Your neighbours are also on FTTC but probably capped at 55 Meg if on BT or at 40 Meg if not BT or are throwing money away.
  • G.Fast is not EE's Fibre Plus Broadband but EE's Fibre Max 1&2 Broadband.
  • ADSL (Standard BB) is not Fibre (VDSL2) but "Up to 24 Meg" ADSL2+. Perhaps that what you are confused about as it was that that I said won't get a SH.

by iOnicDev Investigator
Investigator

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @iOnicDev

Welcome to the community. 🙂

We'll provide you with a new EE router once you change over to us. 🙂

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Christopher_G: I can't see that appealing to this poster as he believes that the EE SH is insecure, even more so than the BT SH. 

by tongu055 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to iOnicDev, Christopher_G and XRaySpex for yesterday's contributions.

Firstly, can I say that I thought that I had closed this post some time ago. However, to comment on the three most recent submissions :-

To iOnicDev - The owner of the link merely claims to have 'cracked' the BT Homehub, making it possible to use it with other providers in addition to PlusNet. He states that it is too complicated for him to explain how to do it. At this stage, I am dubious, as it it generally accepted that this cannot be done - however, I will monitor the link with interest to see if he ever actually describes how to do it.

To Christopher_G - Yes, I do realise that, were I to sign up with EE, I would get an EE router. However, with a copper ADSL application, which is what I would require, I would only get one with a single wifi band capability (2.4GHz). This would be no use for me, as my TV set consistently drops out using 2.4GHz. I need a dual band wifi router (2.4GHz and 5GHz), so that I can use the 5GHz setting. The BT Homehub, which I currently use with my PlusNet ADSL internet connection is, of course, dual band and works perfectly on 5GHz.

To XRaySpex - It is not so much the security of the router that bothers me but, as I have said above, the need to use 5GHz wifi for my TV set.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

A thread is never closed; just that a Solution might be proposed.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.