by Chris96 Investigator
Investigator

USB external storage

Is there a limit on how large (size of storage) an external USB device can be inserted into the EE Smarthub (fibre).

Currently have plugged in a 8GB USB flash drive that I can see and access it on my home network devices. However, when I try and plug in an external HDD that is 2TB the devices don't see it. All that appears is IPC$.

Does it have to a be a certain format exFAT, FAT32, NTFS etc?

It was plugged into a PC to start but since this router has a USB slot thought I'd plug it into this to share.

Have switched it off and on again to no avail and waited until the light is blue before plugging it in.

When I plug it in and go to the USB devices on the router it appears in the list.

Any ideas?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: USB external storage

Hi @Chris96 

You will find the usb port hasn't enough power for large HD. That will be the issue. 

@XRaySpeX might be able to help further as he is an EE broadband customer and knows about the hardware.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Hi @Chris96 

You will find the usb port hasn't enough power for large HD. That will be the issue. 

@XRaySpeX might be able to help further as he is an EE broadband customer and knows about the hardware.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I can't find a spec of this for an EE SH but its predecessor, the Brightbox, had the following formats as compatible:

• NTFS
  • FAT32
  • FAT16

Apple Mac HFS or HFS+ file systems are not supported.

But no stated limit on size.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Chris96 Investigator
Investigator

@Northerner Many thanks for the reply. I didn't think of that, but that would make sense as to why I cannot see it. What would you recommend as the optimal size or shall I just stay with 8Gb? I cannot find anything about the limit on size only the format of the drive.

by Chris96 Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX  Many thanks for the reply. Yeah I too found the information about the predecessor box but can't find anything about this one. Do you know what the limit is or recommend a safe size to use. At the moment it has a 8GB in but thinking is it worth inserting a 16Gb or 32Gb before purchasing one?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I've run a 32 GB flash drive on a BB2.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.